Please sign in to post.

London Theatre

We are in London in June. I looked for Globe tickets. Wondering if there are any do's and don'ts? Do you really "stand" in the yard? First and probably last time in London. Would a tour of the Globe do it? Some of the tickets are off on the sides. Is it worth it?

Posted by
9126 posts

In all my trips to London I'd not been able to book at ticket for a performance at The Globe as I always traveled in Winter. Finally, in May of last year, got tickets and saw Much A Do About Nothing. Fabulous seats!! Excellent performance!! We LOVED every moment of our time at the Globe. Our seats were 3rd Level, Bay E, seats 14-15. Couldn't have been more pleased by the whole experience. In answer to your questions, yes, you do stand the entire performance in the yard (just as they did in Shakespeare's time). No sure to what to offer to do's and don'ts query. Arrive early, no talking during the performance, don't take pictures, don't text, and be sure to rent the seat cushions. Didn't see an elevator so it's stairs to upper levels. To See or Not See That is The Question.

Posted by
724 posts

We really enjoyed the Globe tour. Our guide was really informative, and the museum was a lot of fun. If you're a "groundling" you stand for the entire performance, and you are completely exposed to the weather (rain or beating sun). Lots of people love it, because it is a very interactive way to experience the performance. The seats, on the other hand, offer protection from the weather and a more comfortable overall experience. The night we were there (last July) it was very wet and quite cold. We were warm and dry in our seats, and it was well worth it. Try to get seats that are not obstructed and as close to the center as possible. We sat on the top level and fairly far to the side, but could still see quite well.

Posted by
4684 posts

Yes, "stand" means "stand at all times actors are on the stage". Whether side seats are reasonable depends on how much you want to see. There are two pillars supporting the roof that block parts of the stage from many seats. Also, sometimes directors who don't understand the space treat it like a proscenium arch theatre and play everything straight on from the stage. If you want a tour it's best to come in the morning, as after lunch there's only a very brief tour window between matinee and evening performances.

Posted by
317 posts

Will you stand in the yard? Yes, for the entire performance, if you are a "groundling." Exposed to both sun and rain - and a hoot. For me, the Globe was well worth it.

Posted by
1986 posts

The advice to get seat cushions is golden. The seats are not very comfortable and you will be aching long before the end of the play without them But still (probably) more comfortable than standing- and dryer

Posted by
50 posts

We just did the Tour and it was worth the time. They also have a nice exhibit on the history in the basement. Our desire to see a play was hindered by the fatc that they have an international theme this summer due to the Olympics. Thus the day we were there that had a performance in Turkish, by a troupe from Turkey. Fully understand what performance you will be viewing prior to purchasing the tix's.

Posted by
4684 posts

The international productions aren't for the whole summer. They finished last week and now the usual season starts.

Posted by
4 posts

Thanks for the great replies to my question. Can't wait to see and experience London.