Please sign in to post.

London pub tours

Has anyone been on a London pub tour before? A friend went on one many years ago and said it wasn't a "drinking tour." It was a very informative and entertaining tour that took place during the night--very "Dickens-esque" was how he described the atmosphere of the tour. He said they stopped at some pubs to warm up or rest, but they walked through many of the back streets of London. This friend doesn't remember the tour company name.

Posted by
2341 posts

Try London Walks (www.walks.com) - they have several nighttime walks, including "Hidden Pubs of Old London Town". Their tours are great.

Posted by
20 posts

Years ago I took several London walks with the company mentioned above. They were excellent! One was Along the Thames Pub Walk. It is offered evey Monday, Wednesday and Friday at 7 p.m.

Posted by
5516 posts

I'll second the recommendation on London Walks (www.walks.com) that was previously suggested.
They are not "drinking tours". You will generally walk through a neighborhood and stop at 2 pubs along the way and finish at a 3rd. At each of the pubs you will get about 20 minutes and may order a drink if you like. The tours will talk about the history of that particular area of London.

Posted by
14 posts

Thanks so much for the information. I went on the London Walks website and it looks very good. We will definitley do one of their tours that is not covered by our Rick Steves London and Paris in 8 days tour.

Posted by
852 posts

http://troi.cc.rochester.edu/~tdip/tomsguidetoparis.htm

... Hi Flora,
Since you plan to go to Paris, too, we suggest you have a look at the above web site ... Also, you could get a great guide in PARISWALKS, a book by Alison and Sonia Landes. These ladies have lived in Paris for many years. My copy is a revision printed in 1999. There may be later editions; it has been a very popular guide. bon voyage! HAPPY NEW YEAR! P.

Posted by
290 posts

Took the Original London Walks Along the Thames Pub Tour on 12/12/07. The guide had a lot of info and we stopped on average about 20 mins in the 1st and 2nd pubs so folks can have a pint. The 3rd pub where the tour ended was at the George Inn & most of the group stayed for at least an hour there.