Please sign in to post.

Isle of Skye

In June we'll go by train to Kyle of Lochalsh and then have a few days on Skye, but we don't want to rent a car or spend a lot of time in a bus. Any suggestions of lovely but not too challenging walks? Any boat trips that are unlikely to induce motion sickness and don't require a long bus ride to reach the starting point? Any recommendation of which town to stay in? Thanks!

Posted by
5678 posts

I have to say that I think it is challenging to visit Skye without a car. I'm not saying it's impossible, but I think it's hard. We did a nice walk from Sligachan up to a view point for Loch Coruisk. We also took the boat from Elgol over to Loch Coruisk to see from sea level. Pam

Posted by
37 posts

Thanks. I think I've figured it out: don't try to cover much territory, stay put in Portree and take beautiful walks there. But other suggestions are welcome.

Posted by
5678 posts

Check with the TI to see if there are any day trips that you could take. Try to go there during the week. I think services are still reduced on Sundays in the West, particularly Skye and the Outer Hebrides.

Posted by
37 posts

Thanks for your note. I saw that Sun. was dicey and booked for Weds.-Sat. Found a room for Weds. and Thurs. in Portree but am still looking for a place to stay Sat. May look for one in the direction of the trainis Kyleakin a good place to spend some time? Or Kyle of Lochalsh, where we'll catch the train?

Posted by
5678 posts

If you're willing to go a bit further, you might look at Plockton. It's a pretty little town. Pam