Please sign in to post.

RS Convertible Carry-On

I bought the convertible carry-on specifically to be able to avoid checking my luggage for 3 weeks in England. In checking the Air New Zealand website I find that my carry on can't weigh more than 15 pounds. That seems low for 3 weeks worth of clothing, even as pared down as I am. So, I'm wondering - are people really taking everything in the carry-on, keeping the weight under 15 pounds, and not checking any luggage? Also, the RS Travel Store implies that the packing cubes are only for full sized suitcases. True?

Posted by
629 posts

Some of the European airlines are set at 18 lbs and lower. You'll get lots of answer by posters claiming they carry under 10 lbs in total for any length of stay. It can become a bit of a game (or obsession?). I've checked my RS Convertible Carry-on when it is overweight or on direct return flights - there are no rules! Any of the packing cubes will fit into the RS bag you're referring to. I use them and find that they are handy for organizing, speed up packing/unpacking and I set them directly into the drawers/shelves provided at a hotel for longer stays. Good travels!

Posted by
307 posts

Yep, it's possible, and there are people who manage that way. On my last trip ( 2 weeks in England, Wales, and France last November ), my RS convertible carry on, which has become my best buddy when travelling, weighed 16 lbs fully packed. I've also managed a week in Vegas with nothing but the RS Appenzel day bag, total weight 11lbs. It all comes down to how prepared you are to limit the size of your wardrobe, and do laundry more often. The packing cubes ( I use them as well, and think they're great) will fit in the convertible carry on, and the large packing cube will fit in the appenzel day bag.

Posted by
3428 posts

Packing for 1 week, 1 month, or longer, it's all the same. Here's what I usually take: Wear on plane- black cotton-blend pants, solid T-shirt with "big shirt" over (button up long sleeve), water proof windbreaker, good walking shoes. Pack in carryon: 2-4 pair black or khaki cotton-blend pants(maybe 1 or 2 pair capris subbed), 3-5 T-shirts/polos , 1 or 2 "big shirts", optional -a sweater/cardigan that goes with all of above. 3-5 bras, enough panties for at least 1 week, same with socks. Pjs (maybe). Hand wipes, stain wipes, first aid "kit" in a baggie- band-aids, small packets of Neosporin, Aleve, Benadryl, Dramamine, Nyquil gel capsules, etc.), sewing "kit" (thread wrapped around a small piece of cardboard, 2 needles, buttons, safety pins), medications, medical info sheet, insurance info, 3-1-1 bag with deodorant, perfume, shampoo (can use as laundry soap), lipstick, chap stick, toothpaste, etc., another quart baggie with eye shadow, blush, powder, comb, brush, tweezers, razor, clippers, etc. , "feminine supplies", wash cloth. Optional- scarves, hat, phone, charger, adapter plug, camera & charger, extra memory cards, paper & pen, extra shoe liners, umbrella, baggie with plastic spoons, forks and knives and napkins, extra ziplocs of all sizes, and a day pack. Hubby gets by with a bit less. My suitcase will weigh about 12-15 lbs. and hubby's will weigh 10 or a little less.
We even did a month long, around the world, trip with the same type stuff! It all fits in Rick's bags that we bought more than 20 years ago and that still look almost new. I carry the day pack and move stuff into it as needed. I use large ziplocks and the clear zipped bags sheets come in instead of packing cubes.

Posted by
43 posts

Thanks to all of you. Charlotte, your list was very helpful. My husband doesn't think I can do it but I've been looking forward to the challenge ever since the convertible carry on arrived! Am ordering the packing cubes today.

Posted by
629 posts

Nancy - Don't forget that obviously anything you wear does not count as weight! When we're travelling to a place that is cooler or colder we simply wear a sweater and a heavier jacket. Once you've boarded the plane it gets stowed in the overhead (a sweater makes a great pillow or mini-blanket). No need for an assortment of sweaters or jackets on a trip. Another of the biggest excesses of weight that people take are additional shoes - totally unecessary for men or women. Wear a pair and bring a pair (if you must!).

Posted by
94 posts

I usually wear a fleece vest and carry on my arm a jacket as well. Both have good pockets and I can stuff things in there. Most airlines also let you carry on a "personal item" as well and you can put your heavier stuff in that. Additionally some will also allow you to wear your camera or binocs around your neck. Leave the toiletries at home and buy them when you get to UK. Another trick is to pack older used clothing and leave some behind to make room for souvernirs, etc. going back. Get creative. I've flown a lot of different airlines and all post a specific weight limit on carry-ons, but not all actually check the weight (Qantas and Lufthansa are two that have for me in the past).

Posted by
441 posts

Well, that didn't work. Try travelite.org and look for the minimalist packing list. She went to Europe and her bag weighed only 11 pounds.

Posted by
14607 posts

OK, this is going to sound totally OCD, but you need to use a good kitchen scale to weigh everything you think you might take. Yes, yes, I realize this is nuts, but it is also very revealing. If you have a spare room you can use for a packing room, that is great. Move all your travel clothes into the other room. Weigh them all. I was shocked at the weights of 2 different cardigans. A black one with 3/4 sleeves had metal snaps on it and weighed 12 oz, a print one with long sleeves and buttons weighed 7 oz. I wore the heavier one and packed the lighter one. You may think 5 oz isn't much of a difference but over 3 garments, that is nearly a pound. I weeded out some things based on weight by subbing in lighter garments. I packed for 6 days, and could have easily worn this wardrobe for 3 weeks and came in at 13.4 oz. I did NOT however have a spare pair of shoes. I had sandals, so if going to Europe, I would have been a bit heavier. My bag was a bit lighter than the RS convertible. BTW I had ordered a luggage scale from Magellan but found a similar one at Bed Bath and Beyond yesterday. If you have BBB near you, there is also a flyer with a $5 off coupon right now.