Please sign in to post.

Transportation from Amsterdam airport to hotel

Our hotel is in the museum area. Which way would be cheaper, a taxi from the airport or the Connexxion Shuttle Bus, which is 15.50EU? I don't know the cost of a taxi.

Posted by
1840 posts

We have gone from the airport by train to Sud Station. Then from Sud (South) to our hotel by tram. Different trams go through different parts of the museum district, and ours was no. 5, third stop from Sud. What about this. Go to the middle of Schiphol airport after you get off the plane. There is a good sized tourist information area. Tell someone there where you want to go and follow their directions. Schiphol is a very passenger friendly place. If you do take the train you will go down a set of stairs near the tourist information desk, then through an immigrations station, then out into the Netherlands. Turn right and you will walk a few steps into the train station area. I don't know how much the bus costs, but this would be less expensive than a taxi. You can get Euros at several places near the tourist information area.

Posted by
516 posts

Taxi from the airport to the center runs between 45-55 euro depending on time of a day and traffic. They run every 15 minutes. Ticket window is right outside the door from baggage claim. Then right next to the tickets window is an escalator down to the train platform. Very, very easy. The Dutch in general speak perfect English and are very helpful. You can take the train from the airport 6-7 euro to the center. Then either jump on a tram, find out from your hotel which tram and stop, or take a taxi from the train station to the hotel. Public transportaion is very good in Amsterdam. Right across from the train station is the visitor bureau. You can buy tram passes there, and other tourist stuff.

Posted by
516 posts

My message was confusing. Trains run about every 15 minutes from the airport to Amsterdam center.

Posted by
5678 posts

Good advice here. The train is very easy from Schiphol. I didn't ride the trams in Amsterdam, but your post inspired me to look up the trams for my next visit. I found this link http://goamsterdam.about.com/od/gettingaroundamsterdam/tp/amsterdampublictransportation.htm which i think is useful. And then there is the link. http://www.amsterdam.info/public-transportation-chipcard/ I hope that someone chimes in about buying the chip card however. There has to be a way to buy one that is not through a machine. I'm always leery of machines in Europe as they often need the chip and pin type of credit card.

Posted by
9109 posts

If by chip card you mean the nationwide OV-chipkaart transit card, it can be purchased at the ticket counters at any train station. If you just want the Amsterdam unlimited transit chip-card pass you purchase that at the GVB office across the tram tracks in front of Centraal Station. http://tinyurl.com/85dluyc

Posted by
516 posts

All the different passes and cards are available for purchases right across from central station.

Posted by
5678 posts

Yes, that's the one I meant. They actually translated it to Chip Card on the website. ; ) I knew someone on this board would know the answer. ; ) Pam