Please sign in to post.

Pen Pal

Does anyone have a family/friend in Ireland to be a pen pal to a 17 yr old girl? Any suggestions to establishing a safe contact would be appreciated. Thank you, Tevi

Posted by
11507 posts

Tevi,, i don't think we have any local Irish or expats in Ireland on this forum,, suggest you look perhaps on the Ireland forum on tripadvisor.com.. they have alot more posters so more likely to find a local or expat , who really are the best ones to help with this sort of information. Or perhap google a few addresses of high schools in Ireland and write to them asking if they could suggest a student who is mutually interested. At 17 the girl should be doing this herself .. not sure what safety issues you are afraid of??

Posted by
1806 posts

You could try Pat's suggestion of contacting schools, but likely they would want to contact your daughter's school before they give you any student names to make sure she really is a 17yo girl and not some 52 year old pervert from the United States who just wants to get the personal info of young girls from overseas. That's the safety issue, Pat. Goes both ways, which is why I would never ask on a travel board as anyone on here could give you a fake email and start corresponding with your kid. It's really easy for pedophiles to pretend they are young online to reel in victims. Guess they don't show "Dateline NBC's To Catch a Predator" in Canada...

Posted by
11507 posts

nope,, all the predators are in the States,, everyone knows that, lol ( joking). My idea is still good, just with your adjustment, have her school contact a school in Ireland. Keep in mind the distances do preclude an easy meeting,, I understand about predators, but usually they are looking for kids they can talk onto a bus, not a 747! But you are right caution is never wasted.

Posted by
14 posts

Consider joining SEVAS, an international peace-loving organization. Usservas.org, some hosts may have teenage children.
We have been both hosts & members and every experience has been great. Co$t to join is reasonable, all members must be screened by your local contacts. Some offer 2 nights housing and others are just day hosts.