Please sign in to post.

driving in the UK

Are the pedals also opposite, ie; gas on right clutch on left?

Posted by
4535 posts

No, the pedals are the same. If it's a manual, the shift will be on the left so that takes getting used to.

Posted by
32220 posts

robert, If this is your first time driving in the U.K. and on the "correct side of the road", I'd recommend renting an automatic on this occasion. As you'll be sitting on the opposite side of the car, be sure to familiarize yourself with the layout of controls, as they'll likely be a bit different than you're used to. Also, some research on using roundabouts would be a good idea. You may find it helpful to have a look at This Website. Happy travels!

Posted by
1986 posts

Cindy- Windsor itself is not an easy place to drive in, streets are narrow (and full of tourists) and parking is a bear. However you are close to the motorway, and you will be heading away from London, so that will be a good place to get used to the car before you hit the rural roads

Posted by
964 posts

I agree with Ken- an automatic would be easier. I drove extensively in the US and Canada for 20 years before coming to live in the UK 15 years ago. The roads in the UK are (in general) busier and smaller than in N America. In other words, there's a lot going on. Not worrying about gears is one less thing to concentrate on. I found the one thing I had to practise when I came here was reversing. Everything else was pretty simple, and as for roundabouts- they look intimidating, but actually if you follow the rules, I don't think they're that difficult. Have a great trip and enjoy!

Posted by
251 posts

We'll be driving in the UK this fall for the first time as well. Our plan is to fly in to Heathrow - bus or tax to Windsor - rent a car to drive to the Cotwolds for 4 days. My husband said at first "I've been driving a manual for years, I can handle it" - but I've convinced him to pay the extra for an automatic this time. Like others have said, it's one less thing to have to think about. Also, we have the time to drive around Windsor for a couple of hours and get accustomed to everything before heading out to the country.

Posted by
1021 posts

I don't know the reason, but rentals at Heathrow are more reasonable this year. I usually go with the stick shift to save money, but the automatic transmission was only a bit more for our upcoming trip, so I went with it because the other half thinks my shifting isn't all that smooth. Re the stick shift, the gear sequence is the same, so the only thing to get used to is using the left hand which takes about 5 minutes practice in the lot before you hit the road. I agree with Maggie about the UK roads being busier. Off the motorways and the dual carriageways it seems like there's a roundabout every 2-3 miles.

Posted by
9110 posts

What nobody ever seems to mention is that the turn signal stalk is on the right (outboard) side of the steering column in a right-hand drive car. Get used to it fast or you'll smartly turn on the wipers and get smacked by somebody who doesn't know what you're about. For the first few hours, I wiggle something and then look for the blinking indicator light before maneuvering. Don't worry about shifting, the pattern is the same and muscle memory transfers laterally. There's nothing to get used to. My wife drives an automatic at home and always has, often as not we're somwhere in the world with a left-hand shift manual, she jumps in and goes without thinking about it. Reverse can by anywhere and might have a gadget - - figure that one out in the parking lot. If you parallel park on the left side of the road, think for a second and take a good look prior to opening the driver's door lest it be clipped. And similarly for the passenger if you park on the right (which is often completely acceptable).

Posted by
5678 posts

If you can get an automatic go for it, but don't panic if you don't. As others have pointed out the big change is that you shift with your left hand. I don't remember any problem with the turn signal. (Sorry Ed!) The main issue remains driving on the left. Sitting on the right helps. If you have a travel partner, make them do the navigation so you can concentrate on the driving. Don't be afraid to go around the round-about more than once if you're not sure. Do follow the arrows in the road for round-abouts. Do signal in round-abouts. Do take your time and remember your mantra--left, left, left, left, left. Pam

Posted by
9110 posts

Maybe it's just my citcelsyd self, but I can fly or shoot with either hand. I just spent most of February and March in four different right-hand drive cars and like to have worn the windshield out in all of them.

Posted by
1986 posts

My experience is similar to Ed's- being in the wilds of Africa and having an elephant walking down the road towards me- turning on the wndshield wipers instead of getting that d-d car into reverse. More than once- whenever instinct (panic) took over

Posted by
127 posts

I support your renting a car with automatic transmission. I went to England fully used to a stick shift. I was not prepared, though, for (1) the shift's being on my left AND (2) England's love affair with ring roads (roundabouts or traffic circles). It seems as if every borough, every village, every town has a ring road. I was undone when I got to the ring road at Oxfordtraffic whizzing around and about 10 different points of departure from the ring roadwith tiny signs whose print I couldn't read at the speed we were going. The final straw came as I accelerated on the road out of Coventry, when I shifted and the gearshift came up in my handI was left with a one inch metal stump with which to shift. I used up every four letter word I knew on my back to London (by way of Chipping Campden and Salisbury.) Best wishes on your trip. p.s The car's hood is its "bonnet;" its trunk is its "boot." When you pass another car you "overtake."

Posted by
3696 posts

I agree with the automatic. I have driven lots of times in England and Grand Cayman and even though I drive a manual at home I just don't think I can shift with my left hand and keep the clutch going. I have even tried to just pretend I was shifting and I get messed up....maybe I'll try it someday. As far as the turn signal and wipers, I always hit the wrong one...that is why I am afraid of the shifting. Does that mean I am right brain or left brain or ???? The opposite side of the road, opposite side of the car, different country is about all I can mange, so I pay more for the automatic. Usually its not all that much more... I really shop around for the rental car.

Posted by
6558 posts

Not being as dextrous as Ed I'd vote for the automatic. Enough other variables ("left left left") to think about. I also found the narrow roads got easier when I made a conscious effort to lean my head a little to the right so I had a straighter-on view of the center line and oncoming traffic. I guess I drive here leaning a little left. I also had to remember to turn my body to the left, instead of right, when backing up, so I could see properly through the back window. If you've been driving on the right for 45 years, with oncoming traffic on your left, you have to keep reminding yourself that oncoming traffic on your right is OK not a disaster. I put a ding in the left-side door, and blew the left front tire on a curb, because I was overcompensating for the traffic coming at me from the right. Motorways (freeways) are OK but the city streets and country roads are tough. Did I mention that instead of shoulders they have stone walls? Returning to your original question, yes the pedals are just like here -- thank heaven.