Please sign in to post.

Hotel Recommendations

I will be traveling with my 15 yr old son to London from May 27th to May 31st. I have been researching for hotels within the city on tripadvisor.com. Any help to narrow my search would be appreciated. Looking to spend under $200 for both of us per night. (If possible)

Posted by
5500 posts

I've read that a lot of families like the Premier Inn at London County Hall. I've never stayed there, but lived in this neighborhood for a while. This is a terrific location ... right by the London Eye and across for the Houses of Parliament.

Posted by
199 posts

Laura,

Funny thing is that I have leaning toward this hotel based on tripadvisor.com comments. Thank you

Posted by
152 posts

We stayed at The Westland Hotel in October. You can read my review at Tripadvisor, as Ishmayel on Nov. 2. It was just about $200 with the Rick Steves discount.

It is in a residential area, convenient to the Tube, plenty of places to eat and shop nearby. There is even an indoor ice rink on Queensway two blocks away.

Check it out.

Posted by
196 posts

Just a comment: Once in 1994, we took a quick side trip to London from Ireland (during the 4th of July weekend!! ha, ha) & we actually stayed in a B&B w/in 2 or 3 blocks of Victoria Station. We were very surprised easy it was go get around all of London from the Victoria Station area. We were even more suprised at 'all' of the 4th of July celebrations! That was very wierd, but interesting.

Posted by
28 posts

I second Laura's suggestion for Premier Travel Inn County Hall. Location is fantastic. Easy walk to Westminster Abbey, Big Ben and right next to the Eye. Great to just leave the hotel and be right on the Thames.

Posted by
864 posts

I'm staying at Arran House Hotel on Gower Street with my 28 yr old son in March. It's between the British Museum and the British Library. Fits your budget. Just remember rooms are generally small and the en-suite shower is VERY tiny. Still, the staff is great, they have some limited laundry facilities and breakfast is substanial (you are traveling with a 15 year old). Easy walk to Goodge Street Undergound, grocery store (Marks & Spenser) etc. They have a discounted cab service from Heathrow which you might want to use if this is your first time in England/Europe. Otherwise we just take the tube from Heathrow (Picadilly Line)and change at Leicester Square to the Northern Line getting off at Goodge St. Station. It's a couple blocks from there to the hotel. Private post me if you are interested in staying there and I will answer whatever questions you have if possible.

Posted by
7209 posts

I wholeheartedly vote for the Premier Travel Inn London County Hall. We stayed there, and it is a wonderfully clean and excellently located hotel...not to mention affordable. You really just can't beat it.

Posted by
852 posts

... www.vacationinparis.com/toc.htm

Hi Kristin,
When you get the above web site home page on your screen, click on "all apartments" and scroll to the very bottom. There, you will find an apartment in Chelsea that seems a bit less than your per night maximum. Vacation In Paris is a USA company headquartered in Newton, New Jersey. You may talk with them toll free at 1-800-403-4304. You could have the key to your Chelsea flat before you leave Phoenix (I almost wrote "by the time I get to Phoenix" for some reason)... Have a great trip...P.

Posted by
1717 posts

Rick Steves recommends hotels at Kensington Gardens, near the Bayswater Tube station : Garden Court at 30 Kensington Gardens Square. Has a garden.(www.gardencourthotel.co.uk).
Vancouver Studios at 30 Prince's Square. Has a fully equipped kithenette. Homey lounge and private garden. (www.vienna-group.co.uk)

Posted by
588 posts

I too recommend the Premier Inn at County Hall. I stayed there and it is a perfect location, clean, nice staff. FYI: May 27 may be a bank holiday. You might want to check that out.

Posted by
809 posts

Kristen,
I had very good luck last year [with my 15-yr-old daughter] at London Home to Home,
http://www.londonhometohome.com/index.html. It's a group of B&Bs that includes Bay Tree House, which was highly recommended at Tripadvisor. Also friends used a similar service, At Home in London http://www.athomeinlondon.co.uk/ and stayed in 2 great locations on 2 different trips. Prices are running less than 100 GBP including breakfast. You send them your preferred dates and they will respond with some options at different locations and prices. Have a wonderful time!