Please sign in to post.

Train from Edinburgh to London

I'm trying to buy our tickets for the above route directly through East Coast Trains. The tickets can't be delivered to over-seas addresses though. Am I out of luck then? The site mentions being able to pick up the tickets from a self-serve kiosk at the station (or print at home) but it doesn't appear as an option when I go to buy them. Help?

Posted by
117 posts

Mary, Sadly, no, I was not able to purchase the promo fare. My B&B said to have the tix sent to them and they would hold them for me I was (and am) very appreciative. I thought that the problem was solved but EC trains requires that you have a British credit card as well as a British address. No where on the site does it mention this until you are trying to make payment though. I called EC twice and spoke to 3 people. I was hoping to just pay for them over the phone which you CAN do (in theory, at least) but the promo fare was a deal online only so I couldn't get the L25 first-class tickets that way. I wound up just going with my original plan of traveling standard class. It saves us $50 anyways and I'm still getting from Scotland to England. : ) There was a moment of slight disappointment but all's well that ends well. And this has ended well. Thanks for asking!

Posted by
341 posts

I agree, the main thing is getting from point A to point B without too much hassle. Edinburgh and London have to be just about our favorite cities, which is why we keep going back. Have a great trip.

Posted by
341 posts

I just bought tickets through nationalrail.co.uk I received an email confirmation/voucher that I'll take to the station along with the credit card I used, and collect our tickets from either a self-service ticket machine or a manned window.

Posted by
117 posts

Thanks for your reply, Mary! I believe my issue here is that this is a promotional offer. I went back and played around on the site. If I purchase a different ticket the print at home and pick up at the station options are offered. I checked the fine print and no where does it say that you have to be a UK resident to purchase the promo tickets. I'm now wondering if I can have them sent to the B&B where we are staying. Of course, I would contact the B&B first to confirm. Thoughts?

Posted by
341 posts

Kristen, just for future reference, were you able to get the promotional special, and did you have to have them sent to your B&B?

Posted by
8700 posts

It's too late now, but for future reference you might like to know that you can book tickets on the East Coast site. As you go through the booking process you will find an "International address"link. Click on it and then complete your booking.

Posted by
117 posts

Tim, For this deal it required a UK address. There was no print-at-home or pick-up-from-kiosk option. When I tried to just have it sent to my B&B it wouldn't allow it because the CC was not a British card/billing address was different. Even when putting the B&B as the billing address it recognized it wasn't a British card. It was several hours of highs and lows but we did finally get our tickets booked.