Please sign in to post.

York and Edinburgh B&Bs

Would like B&B suggestions for York and Edinburgh (never been to either city). I'll be traveling in Mid-March 2012. Thanks. Ellen

Posted by
13 posts

Hi - For Edinburgh, try the Adria House. My husband and I had not booked our place to stay in Edinburgh last July (2011) - but called the central booking agency on our drive to the city around 5 pm. They put us at the Adria House, which turned out to be on a lovely street right in the heart of the city. It is on a crescent street with Georgian architecture that was quiet and mostly residential. The Adria House is 200 years old, was very reasonable at about 100 pounds/night for the two of us. They have a beautiful terraced garden out back that we had the privilege of viewing from our back window. And it was in a convenient area to get to most of the sightseeing sites. Their web site is www.adriahouse.co.uk - We were glad we happened on this great stay. Good luck! We also stayed in York on our trip, but stayed in the Hilton. It was a nice hotel, in a good location, and I would recommend it if you don't need the B&B feel.

Posted by
8572 posts

I'm sure you'll get some recommendations here but you should also scan the Graffiti Wall, under the Heroic B and B Friendliness category.

Posted by
1717 posts

Hello Ellen. In York, I liked the B & B - 23 St. Mary's. It is very luxurious, and I liked talking with the owner Chris in the front room (parlor) in the evening. A room in that lavish B & B cost less money than a small and ugly room in a hotel in London. Information on that B & B is in Rick Steves' books on England, and Great Britain.

Posted by
3428 posts

Neither of these are B&Bs, but are excellent hotels (we've always enjoyed our stays in them)>
York- the Royal York- attached to the train station and only a short walk to the heart of the Shambles and the market. Has it's own small, lovely garden. Edinburgh- The Royal British- across Princes Street from Waverly train station. Excellent breakfasts. Short walk to Princes Stree park and the Royal mile.

Posted by
646 posts

We liked 23 Mayfield in Edinburgh (amazing breakfast!!) and the St Raphael Guest House in York. It would be helpful if you could give a few more details about what you're looking for (willing to walk a bit or take a bus into town? Need to be near the train station? On a budget?) so people can tailor their suggestions.

Posted by
21 posts

We stayed at Ard na Said B&B in Edinburgh - it's listed in Steve's book - and is out along Dalkeith Road. Very nice accommodations and it was easy to pick up the Lothian bus into center city Edinburgh. We would definitely stay there again.