Please sign in to post.

bruges, Belgium

Is it realistic to experience this town in a short 6 hour visit? Is it worth the time and $$ to stay overnight and have 1 full day? Where would you suggest to go in that time frame??

Posted by
3551 posts

Lucky you to go to Brugge. It is very lovely, walkable and easy to see in 6 hrs. It is one of my favorite towns in Europe well perserved and a delight to meander thru or cruise the small canals. Take in one museum, picnic in the main plaza, dessert should be chocolates, walk the side streets , marvel at the architecture and visit the archaelogical exhibit beneath crowne Plaza Hotel. RS guidebk has a handy city walk guide. Enjoy.

Posted by
5678 posts

I spent a day and a half there a couple of years ago and enjoyed it very much. Part of the enjoyment was time spent at the local brewery with new friends from Scotland. So, yes you can probably get a good flavor for the place in 6 hours, but I enjoyed slowing down. One of the things I did too, was get up early on the first AM and go for a run near the canals. It was different place than when every one is up and about and courting the tourists. Pam

Posted by
1976 posts

You might want to re-post this on the "To the West" forum - you'll get more responses. I went to Bruges for a daytrip and felt like I had plenty of time to see and do what I wanted (Church of Our Lady with Michelangelo sculpture, canal cruise, Memling Museum, browsing in chocolate shops). Read about Bruges and make a list of what you want to do, then decide if it's feasible to do it in 6 hours or closer to 24.

Posted by
12040 posts

6 hours is probably not enough time to hit all the stuff in the guidebooks, but you can still get an adequate overview of the historic core of the city. The only museum that would be worth your brief time there is the Groenigemuseum. If you're there on a clear day, ascend the Belfry for the view. On such days, you can see all the way to Ghent in one direction and the North Sea coast in the other. I admit to knowing squat about art, but in my opinion, that small Michelangelo statue wouldn't get any attention if it was sculpted by a more anonymous artist. See it if you have time, but don't go out of your way. Now, the "Adoration of the Mystic Lamb" that alone would make a trip to Ghent worthwhile (among other reasons to visit). Whether or not to spend the night would depend on from where you're coming from and where you're going next, and how you like to spend your evenings. If you like a little nightlife, Brugge is nearly a ghost town after dark. If you like the sort of atmosphere that comes with soft lighting of historic buildings and nearly empty streets, stay the night.

Posted by
57 posts

I spent one day in Bruges and LOVED IT! It was not enough time for me. We went to the Chocolate Story and Fry museum, and I didn't really like them, though my friends did. It was just not interactive enough lol. We stayed here: http://www.hotelkeizershof.be/English/
and loved it. Inexpensive, no frills at all, close to the train station. Have fun!!

Posted by
5678 posts

There is an article in today's New York Times Travel Section on Brugge. Well, actually it is tomorrow's. ;)