Please sign in to post.

Europe in 2 weeks

We have been to europe 2 years ago and we were able to fit a lot in in 2 weeks. My question is $7000 enough for 5 nights in london, 3 nights in Paris, 4 nights in Berlin and 3 nights in stockholm for 2 adults and a 14 year old we are also going with a friend and her daughter who we will share accommodations with, or should I plan on saving more.

Posted by
3941 posts

Well, my husband and I did 23 days around Europe and I think final tally was around $6000 including airfare (1 ticket was with air miles program, but only a $400 savings). We are part of couchsurfing tho, so 8 of those nights we didn't pay for accomodations...and of course, you have an extra person to feed and buy a plane ticket for, but fewer days - one thing I always do is a 'mini-budget' - with airfare, train ticket costs, average food for each day, sightseeing, souviners...

Posted by
11507 posts

Celina, unless you plan on renting apartments, the plan to share accomadations with two other people will likely not work. Most hotels fit a maximum of 4 people in a room, and they are very strict about it,, you cannot sneak in another person. Rooms are tiny, and many hotels onlly have a few rooms for 3 or 4 to begin with.

Posted by
15 posts

We are planning on staying in apartments not hotels I know how strict they are from the last time we were there but most places we stayed in apartments and it was great.

Posted by
1010 posts

Dear Celina, I agree with Pat. You defnitely can't have more than three people in a room. The rooms are always too small even for two people in Paris especially. French hotels do not give you wash cloths either. You have to bring your own microfiber ones. Most of the time they will only let two peple stay in a room anyway. They don't offer king size beds either. I suggest you check with each hotel you are making reservations for. They will be able to tell you. London, Paris and Stockholm are all very expensive. I definitely suggest you make your reservations way in advance and confirm directly with the hotel and not with a travel site. We really liked the Crowne Plaza Kensginton, 100 Cromwell, London. We stayed there in 2009, 2010 and 2011. It is part of the Holiday Inn Hotel chain and Priority Club. The Crowne Plaza is in the South Kensington area, which is very desirable. It is directly across the street from the Glouester tube staion. South Kensington is a very convenient area to be based in.

Posted by
15 posts

Yea, The Crown Plaza, Kinsington, is a great place. The rooms are large and we stayed three in a room with a roll-away bed. The restaurant downstairs is nice and a great concierge. They have a bellman in top hat and day coat. You may not want to hear this, but there's a McDonald's down to block. Inexpensive breakfast's.

Posted by
976 posts

Celina, You may find a few Family rooms if you book early, but those are mostly 4 twins or sometimes 2 twins and a double. Very few quint rooms in Europe. Look in the guidebooks for family room listings and then inquire by email from the hotels. RS lists some hotels with family rooms. I've stayed in a triple room in Paris on the Boulevard St Mich & you might book a triple plus a double. You might find a few chain hotel rooms that would sleep 4 people in 2 doubles beds, tho few will have enough space for a rollaway.You really will have to call an 800 # or check online, and often the price may be more for one room that will sleep 5 than 2 rooms.
However, one bathroom for so many people can take a lot of time getting out in the morning. That's one reason why 2 rooms are often better.