Please sign in to post.

Driving time

I used a website with a "distance calculator" and it aid that it's about a 6 hour drive from Edinburgh to Stroud in the Cotswolds. Does anyone know if that is accurate? TIA,
Kristen

Posted by
2876 posts

Don't know if you used viamichelin.com, but their estimates are pretty reliable and they say 6 hrs 7 minutes. Which doesn't include stops for food & fuel. The distance is 567 Km (352 miles).

Posted by
117 posts

Tom -- I didn't. I just googled UK driving times and picked a site. It looks like 6 hours might be right then. Thanks for your help! Kristen

Posted by
33588 posts

I've never linked the two in one drive but I would be very surprised if it could be done in 6 hours, even if you do the astronaut pampers trick. The M6 is highly prone to traffic, construction and accidents. The M5 gets accidents, especially caravans flipping over in the first 5 exits. Stroud is very hilly, and the approach roads will not likely go at line speed. If I were budgeting for a full out run of that distance I would say 9 hours to be safe. If you get in early, great. Better to be pleasantly surprised than disappointed.

Posted by
117 posts

Nigel - I just replied to you on my other post. You are most helpful! We are trying to figure the easiest/fastest/cheapest way to get from Edinburgh to Stroud. Taking the train and then picking up a rental car locally now seems to be the route to take but we are struggling with finding a place to rent the car. We'll get in figured out one way or another though. Thanks again! Kristen

Posted by
1022 posts

What's the rush? There is lots of pretty countryside you can work into a route, e.g. Northumberland, Yorkshire Dales, Lake District.

Posted by
32332 posts

Kristen, The advice Nigel provided is spot-on! I've found from experience that driving in the U.K. always takes longer than even the best laid plans, sometimes considerably longer. Keep in mind that you'll be driving on the "correct side of the road", and could perhaps get "lost" a few times. When not on the Motorways, you'll often be on narrow and winding roads that pass through numerous small towns, where you'll have to reduce speed. Regardless of what a computer planner indicates, I highly doubt that Edinburgh to the Cotswolds will be possible in 6-hours! Happy travels!

Posted by
117 posts

After considering all your comments we have decided to take the train and just rent a car locally. Thank you for responding! Kristen