Please sign in to post.

Travel through UK/Ireland

My boyfriend and I are planning a 2-4 week trip (still in the works...we have one month available but not sure on budget yet) in March to England, Ireland, Scotland, Wales (we're hoping to see a bit of each!). We are wondering the cheapest way to travel from place to place within the country. We have purchased a Eurail pass for a trip through France/Benelux. I know there is a BritRail pass available, but we have been living in Germany for 6 months, so we have residency I think, so I think InterRail passes are available to us...am I right? But I've also read about Megabus, as well as another bus service (forgotten the name). We don't have a set itinerary yet, but we are flying into London. Any advice on wear to start? We are also students (age 23) so any student deals would be great as well. Thanks :)

Posted by
203 posts

I don't really have much experience with Britrail (or Eurail). From what I heard Britrail is fairly pricey. I usually just do my research on point to point to find out the best/cheapest way to go. Train will usually be fastest. There are lots of websites (The Trainline, etc). MegaBus is super cheap. We paid 2 pounds to go from London to Cardiff, Wales. If you're looking to travel really cheaply I would start there and see if they travel the route you're looking for. National Express is another bus service. More routes than MegaBus, but cost a little more. Don't discount flying. Lots of flights throughout the UK and Europe are very inexpensive. We paid only 39 pounds to go from Bristol, Wales to Dublin. Try Bravofly.com. Hope this helps. I'm sure others have lots more experience.

Posted by
1014 posts

Eurolines.com travels throughout the UK, Ireland, Scotland and Europe. Can be really cheap if booked early, as can trains. Ryanair and Easyjet are two cheap puddle jumpers that have fares as low a 10Pounds one way, plus tax.