Please sign in to post.

Train tickets

We are travelling from York to Moreton-in-Marsh, 2 days later to Oxford,next day to Bath and 3 days later to London for 7 days then to Heathrow to return home. I am really confused how to decide what we will need for passes. Can anyone help? Also, while in London, should we just use the Oyster Card that we will buy there?

Posted by
124 posts

I generally use a pass as I like the flexibility of when to ride- (though note that commute hour trains are not covered on some of the passes). During a two week stay in London, I would get up in the morning and go- Stonehenge and Avebury, Canterbury, Kew, etc and I was delighted to discover that my pass covered the express from Paddington to Heathrow last time I was there. I used an Oyster for London and loved it. But as others have said, you may be paying more for convenience.

Posted by
33587 posts

Martha, I am by no means any expert on Britrail train passes. You will have to do the maths. I'd be surprised if a pass was economic for you. You appear to only have one longish journey - York to Moreton-in-Marsh. The others are all quite short. If you buy tickets in advance, "Advance" tickets, and if you are willing to commit to specific timed trains with non-refundable, non-changeable tickets, you can go for very little money on all the segments. On the other hand, if you don't mind paying more money, you can buy tickets on the day. Go to National Rail Enquiries where you can plug in places, dates, and times and get an idea of the prices of "Anytime" tickets or "Off-Peak" tickets. The most expensive choice is likely to be a pass. You may prefer to know that all the trains are pre paid and you can just turn up and go, and show your pass to the Conductor. The other advantage of the pass is that you can add ad hoc journeys on pass days with no extra charge. It really boils down to your level of planning, your willingness to commit to specific trains, and time value of money in your case.

Posted by
3580 posts

If you order your Britrail TICKETS in advance, you can save a lot. Last spring I traveled around southern England and bought my tix online at home. They were around 1/2 price. I picked them up in train stations in England after I got there. It worked perfectly. For multiple trips in southern England I have used the LondonPlus pass. Look in the "Railpasses" section of this website. I use the Oyster when in London. Go to the Transport for London (TFL) internet site for all the charges and options. I just use the Oyster and top it up when needed.

Posted by
12 posts

Thanks for all of your suggestions. We will use them to decide the most economical way to go.