Please sign in to post.

Orkney Islands

Has anyone had experience with the Viator Tour from Inverness to the Orkneys, It seems to cover the sites I would like to see in one long (14 hour) day. I've looked into longer tours but they are several days which is more than I have to spend. If not Viator, any others that you can recommend. I especially want to see Skara Brae.

Posted by
124 posts

Cynthia: I found your tour and it is interesting because it leaves from the same place (the bus terminal) at the same time and returns at the same time, and visits the same places, but they seem to be different tour groups-very puzzling. Maybe someone else can comment.

Posted by
5678 posts

Toni has done this tour and says that it is a good intro to Orkney. In my opinion there is enough to see and experience in Orkney to warrant a separate trip. I'll admit that I am biased as my grandfather is from Orkney, but I also hate the idea of all Thayer bus time. If it is a question of this tour or no visit to Orkney, then take the tour. If you have the time fly to Orkney and then take the ferry to from Stromness to Thurso.

Posted by
124 posts

I am still putting together my itinerary. I start in Norwich on May 24, for 4 nights on a family outing, then am going to York and Durham for 4 to 5 days. Realizing that I have started a Viking theme and having wanted to see the Orkneys when I was in Inverness a few years ago, I thought I might work it in. I could spend a night there, but I will not be driving so I would need to arrange a tour of some sort. I'm also thinking about flying in and out of Britain by Icelandic Air and stopping a night in Reykjavik if I could do it easily and without too much expense.

Posted by
124 posts

If I stay a couple of nights on Orkney (probably in Kirkwall), can I find a tour out of Kirwall? I found one tour company that advertises private tours but the tariff was 345 pounds which sounds like a LOT, given my experience. Is this the normal for private guides there? Are there any group tours? Any sources or help would be appreciated very much.

Posted by
3428 posts

As Pamela said, we have done the long day bus tour. I don't remember which company, but we booked at the Tourist Information Office. I strongly suspect that the companies may "combine" and "share" the costs and services of the guide and driver if there are not enough tourists for more than one bus. I knew we would not be able to spend extensive time (overnight or longer) on the Orkneys and convinced hubby that I REALLY wanted to see them, so he agreed to the bus tour. Even the time on the bus was fun, as our guide was well informed and knew when to talk and when to let us just soak up the scenery (or sleep). There was plenty of time at Skara Brae and hubby got some great pictures there and at the standing stones/Ring of Brodegar. The Italian Chaple (done by Italian prisioners of war in WWII) is lovley as in the main town we stopped in. The church is beautiful and there were some nice shops. I got a beautiful watercolor there. And some one-of-a-kind jewelery by an Orkney designer. By the way, Viator is a company that has been around a long time and I believe is very reliable.

Posted by
124 posts

Thanks! I will do the day trip if I can't figure out a way to do an overnight on Orkney with a group tour. I can always putter around in Inverness for a day or so, though I spent 5 days there a couple of years ago.
The cousin in charge of our trip to Norwich is wanting to know our flight info so that he can arrange group transport from Heathrow for all of us. We're coming from all over N. America. Since this is 6 mos. away, I'm feeling a little rushed to work out the details of my trip so I can contact a travel agent-I don't usually make my plane reservations this early which normally gives me more time to plan.

Posted by
5678 posts

Diane, There are lots of tours on Orkney and you don't have to do a private tour. People go there and stay for days. ; ) Wildabout Orkney Tours are the ones that I here about the most. http://www.wildaboutorkney.com/ It looks like they offer full day tours for about 50 pounds. And the most people on their tours is 8, which is really good. Go to the Visit Orkney website at
http://www.visitorkney.com/ and go to the tab marked Getting Around Orkney and you'll see tours. And if you want to know more about what makes Orkney special then go to this wonderful site and explore. http://www.orkneyjar.com/ I know that Toni is big on the tour, but there are lots of tourists on Orkney. According to Via Michelin it's a three hour bus ride to John O'Groats and then you have the Ferry which is another 40 minutes. So you are traveling nearly 8 hours to do this tour. I guess I just like islands. Pam

Posted by
124 posts

Thanks, Pamela. If I stay on Orkney for a couple of nights, do you have any suggestions about a place to stay? B&B or small hotel?

Posted by
5678 posts

I stayed in a B&B last time, but there are some nice small hotels. Let me ask my Scottish friend as to where she sends her friends. Pam

Posted by
5678 posts

Carol says that her favorite is the Kirkwall Hotel. It's right on the harbor front. We went there for dinner one night when we were there a few years ago and had they had a fiddler. It was interesting too as we met a man who held sales on the islands. It would ship semi's of goods to an island and then have a sale in a parking lot. He said he was making good money. Pam

Posted by
124 posts

How big is Kirkwall? Is it walkable at least for the major things to see, like the kirk? Rick Steve's books don't mention the Orkneys (at least not the ones that I have) and my other Scotland travel books are a little sketchy re: the things I want to know. Is there a helpful ourist office there?

Posted by
5678 posts

You can walk to everything in Kirkwall. It's really a town not a city at all. Orkney is just a different place than the rest of Scotland. I love both. Pam

Posted by
124 posts

So- there is a Sunday or Monday wildabout Orkney tour that would suit. I can pick it up at Stromness or Kirkwall aound 9 AM. I had planned to go from Durham to Inverness on Sat June 2 and leave for Orkney via bus or rail on Sunday which would get me there for the Monday tour. (staying the night in Kirwall) I could cut Durham short a day and arrive in Inverness on Friday, going to Orkney on Saturday. It's early for checking schedules this far ahead and I am not sure whether traveling on a Sunday would be a problem (this IS Scotland after all). Does anyone have information on the ferries, trains and buses that would be involved? Thank you in advance!