Please sign in to post.

Biking in Ireland

Has anyone done any biking in Ireland...with a group or on your own? Looking for something beautiful, green, countryside, small villages, charming accommodations, etc. We did a cycling trip in Italy that was awful for me as I didn't know that everyone would be very intense and experienced cyclists! The routes were along very unpleasant highway-type roads with tons of traffic and not at all pleasant. Once we arrived in the different towns each evening it was nice but the cycling was dreadful. I hate to have my only impression of a biking trip be left at that! Any suggestions greatly appreciated!

Posted by
12172 posts

My coworker did a bike Ireland trip staying at B&B's each night. He rode some on his own and some with a couple of friends. He planned it around St. Patrick's Day. He loved it but it might be awful for others. It rained like crazy, so he was soaked through each day (even with a full rain suit) - and he didn't realize the St. Pat's Day celebration in Ireland isn't anything like here. I would plan for times of the year that are drier (though some rain is likely year round) and have longer days. The difference between length of day in summer and winter is significant. You will ride on mostly smaller roads, which is nice, but there won't be bike lanes (at least that I've ever seen) so even a little traffic can be scary.

Posted by
375 posts

We considered biking the Dingle Penninsula but decided not to. When we got there and saw the roads, we were glad. The roads are narrow and winding with a fair amount of traffic, no bike lanes and few places to pull out of the way. As usual, there was a mix of sun and rain, but even a little rain on a bike is uncomfortable for me. Based on that experience, I would not recommend biking there. However, I have heard other people say they did bike there and enjoyed it, so everyone is different.

Posted by
105 posts

Cycling hasn't developed in Ireland as quickly as many of us would like, but it is improving. An 18km route, The Newport - Mulranny Greenway opened earlier this year and it is hoped to extend this later. I'm enclosing a link to cycling in Mayo http://www.mayo-ireland.ie/Mayo/Leisure/Cycling/Cycling.HTM There would be many fun day/couple of day events in Ireland as well. One is the Wicklow 100/200km http://www.wicklow200.ie/, this would be a good stretch with some handy climbs in it. Another is the Clare 250 (250 mile 'fun' cycle around Clare) over 2 days in May, no website for the Clare 250 unfortunately, but this would be a 'reasonably' flat run, and you would be going through God's own country for much of the trip. http://www.mapmyride.com/s/routes/view/bike-ride-map/ireland/clare/7252625 Here's another website for cycling around Clare.
http://www.shannonregiontrails.ie/FindaTrail/Cycling/ If you're cycling around Ireland (on the country roads) you really need to cycle in single file for the most part, then you'll have no bother. I do a bit of cycling myself, to/from work and for pleasure, there are lots of cycle paths around Dublin, but I'm not sure that I'd inflict cycle on tourists in Dublin unless you're experienced. If there's anything more specific I can help you with, just let me know and I'll try to help you.

Posted by
655 posts

Ireland is just as beautiful and charming as you say but I thiink you will enjoy it most traveling by car. Expect rainy days and, at times, very strong winds. Consider the Netherlands.

Posted by
29 posts

Allison, I'd like to chime in and offer another take on cycling in Ireland. I have taken 9 bike trips all over Ireland and Northern Ireland - some with a friend, others solo - and consider it one of the best, most appealing, friendliest and safest countries in Europe for cycle touring. Yes, it rains nearly daily, though rarely hard. Mostly, it's an on-and-off drizzle that you can count on, especially in the West. That's why it's so green & beautiful. On one trip, we even enjoyed three weeks, less a day, of total sunshine biking around 3/4 of the island. You'll need a good rain jacket, wool socks, gloves, a warm cap, layered clothing and an intrepid spirit to carry you through sometimes cold, wet days. Strong winds were rarely a factor. Many roads are indeed narrow, at places windy and a little bumpy, but Ireland's drivers are among the most patient and courteous anywhere. Getting a license and driving is serious business, and it's reflected in their driving. Traffic is light, except on the major roads (red on the map below), which you can easily avoid. Create your own route from the hundreds of well-connected "yellow" and "white" back roads on the map. Michelin's 1:400,000 scale map is ideal for cycling and has the detail you need, allowing you the freedom to pick your route each day. The best scenery is in the west, southwest and northwest, plus the Antrim Coast of Northern Ireland. The Aran Islands are well worth the ferry ride from Doolin (the capital of "trad" music) or the longer ride from Rossaveel. If you'd like more information or have questions, RSVP and I'd be glad to share e-mails with you. So go! The friendliness of the Irish, abundant, clean and inexpensive B&Bs, great scenery, wonderful "trad" in the pubs and slower pace of life all make the weather seem only a minor distraction. Oh, did I mention the beer?