Please sign in to post.

socks

I have read through the Grafitti wall re:walking shoes (thanks for the great tips)...I have a question re:SOCKS...are the drywick type best for Irish climate? thanks again

Posted by
3580 posts

Drywick sounds good. An extra set of insoles so you always have a dry pair can help. What do you wear outdoors at home in the spring and fall rainy weather? What works in Illinois should work in Ireland. If you need to dry out your shoes overnight you can take out the insoles and either stuff the shoes with newspapers or use a hair dryer on them. I've gotten thoroughly drenched a couple of times and was able to dry out my shoes overnight. Even in waterproof shoes, a real downpour can run down inside your shoes and make them wet.

Posted by
30 posts

Thanks-good ideas (weather here is alot like Ireland-esp this past spring/summer).

Posted by
8647 posts

I swear buy Smartwool socks. Worth EVERY penny. No blisters, no odor, warm and comfy.

Posted by
30 posts

thanks-I will check out the Smartwool-Happy Travels

Posted by
12172 posts

Costco's wool blend hiking socks are great. They are mostly Merino wool, stand up well to heavy use, and are only about $10 for three pairs (about a third of comparable socks).

Posted by
719 posts

Smartwool, Smartwool, Smartwool. Don't be fooled by off Brands, as they just don't compare. I'm a huge fan of generics, but not when it comes to socks. Smartwools are only the best grade of Merino, not the ineffective off cuts from Merino sheep. Sure, you can get multi-packs for about the same price as one pair of Smartwools, but I wouldn't do it. If your feet are unhappy, YOU will be unhappy. Spend the extra few bucks.
And no, I do not work for Smartwool. I did, however, manage an Outdoor retailer years ago, so I've tried everything. Nothing compares.

Posted by
30 posts

Thanks Darren- I will go with the smartwool- great tips everyone
and happy feet are a GREAT thing to have

Posted by
2081 posts

Suzanne,

I havent tried the "drywick" style yet. i started with the "smartwool" as mentioned and so far has been great even when wet.

your mileage may vary.

happy trails.