Please sign in to post.

Locaboat Ireland

Our family is planning a trip to Ireland in the summer of 2012. We are looking at hiring a canal boat for a week and was wondering if anyone has used Locaboat in Ireland. If so I would welcome your comments on the company, experience and points of interest. I can't seem to find many reviews and would love to hear more.

Posted by
33587 posts

This is a duplicate posting. There is another identical at Transportation.

Posted by
9110 posts

What Nigel said, and we might as well start with this one. Locaboat is a good outfit. I've done business with them a few times in France and once in Holland and they were uniformly excellent. I'd assume Irleand would be just as good, but the two tracks they offer there just don't appeal to me. A couple of thoughts: Study the diagrams of the Penichettes carefully to make sure you have enough room for the crowd without anybody having to sleep on a converted dining room table or something. Take soft-sided luggage or you'll have no way to stash it and will be forever tripping over it and moving it around. Firgure out a way to stock up on grub before you get to the boat or at a very early stop. (You'll probably have most breakfasts and a couple or three lunches. And maybe even a supper on board either because the weather sucks or you didn't wind up stoping at a good place fore the night.) The stores in the marina are typically over-priced and offer very little in quality - - sort of like a convenience store. Think real hard about adding bikes (extra cost) if they're offered. I only fell for that once and we barely used them and would not have missed them.

Posted by
3 posts

Thank for this info, it's a great start with some good advice. We were questioning the bikes and will definitely take your advice to heart. I am hoping more people will read and perhaps someone has done the Ireland route. Glad to hear your postive words about locaboat. We are also checking on a few other canal rentals (found on RS) in Ireland to compare - thx again... kc