Please sign in to post.

Walking Shoes

What are the best walking shoes for 14 days in Ireland? I would like something lightweight-thanks in advance (this will be my first trip overseas)

Posted by
666 posts

I strongly recommend a waterproof shoe. They were the best investment I made on my trip (and are coming in handy back at home, too!) A decent shoestore should have several brands to choose from. I bought Keens which I really like, but other members of my family had Merrills and New Balance, and everyone had happy feet. The shoes were great for hiking, but could be worn for walking in the cities as well. If you don't need a dressy shoe, the other great thing is one pair of waterproof shoes is all you need to pack! We brought sports sandals for wearing in the hotels, and that was it. It made traveling with only carry on luggage a lot easier!

Posted by
30 posts

Thanks Ruth-I appreciate the help :) Happy Travels

Posted by
5678 posts

I would advise that you also take a second pair of shoes. When traveling in the UK I usually bring a good walking sandal. You can give your feet a rest in the evening and a chance to dry out if you shoes do get damp. You'll hear lots of different recommendations. I like Finn Comfort, but admit that they are pricey. Check the Grafitti Wall. There is a section on shoes. Pam

Posted by
8649 posts

Just posted about socks. Late in my recommend for shoes.
I swear by Keens. Have 4 pairs. Walk about town, 2 pairs of sandals (hike daily in one pair to the top of Mt. Hollywood above the Griffith Observatory in LA) and one pair of hiking shoes that are light, comfortable and the best pair I've ever owned. Again, pricey shoes but when the fit is perfect well worth the investment. BTW used to suffer from plantar fascitius but that's all gone with these shoes. No pain at all. Have a great visit to Eire. Lovely country.

Posted by
30 posts

Thanks Claudia- I have been looking at the keens-they seem to be the most popular choice per the Grafitti board-
I cannot wait for my trip to the Emerald Isle

Posted by
719 posts

I usually wear a pair of trail runners while in Europe (The North Face Gore-tex this past spring) while my wife takes several pairs of shoes. She's a HUGE fan of Danskos, as they provide support all day long (ask as nurse). If (when) your shoes get wet, stuff them with newspaper over night and they should be drier in the AM. Wool socks help, too. Hair dryers can damage leather, so be careful going that route. It's fine on synthetic athletic shoes, though (they dry faster, too.)

Posted by
30 posts

Thanks Darren- I was looking at Danskos (my niece swears by them-she is on her feet all day)
happy Travels

Posted by
1113 posts

Suzanne, whatever you decide to buy, keep the receipt and make sure you spend a good few hours walking around in them! I bought and returned quite a few pairs of shoes this way- Danskos & Keens even though they got glowing reviews on this board. I just have wide feet and they didn't work out for me. I eventually ended up with New Balance hiking shoes and was happy with them. Happy shoe hunting!

Posted by
30 posts

Thanks Claudette- I have a high instep-so definitely trying out before keeping-
this helpline is so amazing - thanks eveyone

Posted by
8649 posts

Great advice Claudette. New Balance are great shoes. Have 3 pair. I too have wide feet and for whatever reason all my Keens fit like a glove. Never a blister, pinch or discomfort of any fashion. After years of trying on and returning Merrils, Rockports, Danskos, Eccos, Mephistos, Clarks and Riekers, I tried Keens. A beautiful friendship was born. I'll also note that I found a pair of Hush Puppies in a discount store. Didn't even know that brand still existed. They are the 2nd pair of shoes I always travel with. Slip ons. Perfect for the airport, plane and for light walking days. Nothing better than finding the perfect shoe and in hindsight well worth all the trials and tribulations in doing so.

Posted by
30 posts

Thanks :) I am getting excited to book my trip - cannot wait

Posted by
30 posts

Thanks Claudia- I will definitely look into that-I appreciate the tips-
have a great day

Posted by
8649 posts

Have a great trip. Ireland is lovely. Green as green can be.
Dont miss the Long Room after the Book of Kells at Trinity College. If the sun is shining people watch and picnic in St. Stephen's green. Newgrange is amazing. If driving, be sure to stop in the smaller villages. Still relish the afternoon I came upon a village soccer match. Seemed like the entire town was there. The tiny road was a challenge to negotiate with all the cars parked haphazardly. So I parked and stopped to watch the last 20 minutes of the match. It was two middle school teams. Following the match, everyone invaded the adjacent pub. Entire families complete with dogs, grandparents, aunts, uncles, children and babies. Very festive, very communal, very fun. Talk about meeting the locals. Stories were shared, bread broken, pints hoisted. Wonderful travel memory!!!