Please sign in to post.

Layover at Heathrow

I have 4.5 hour layover at Heathrow. Is 4.5 hours enough time to peak a visit to London? My final destination is Dublin, Ireland.

Posted by
37 posts

No, you would be crazy to leave the airport: why don't you book one of the new pod hotels and have a rest?

Posted by
2775 posts

Hi Lauren, you would have time to go into Windsor. Taxi ride to Windsor is 15 minutes, 2 hr., in Windsor, a 15 minute ride back to the airport, getting you there 2 hours before your flight. But this is only if you land on time at Heathrow. I wouldn't try London.

Posted by
712 posts

We had the same kind of layover about 12 years ago. They acutally had room on an earlier flight that was filled when we tried to book it. My husband was looking for something to do like you at the time, but they let us on the earlier flight. Don't know if they do that after 9/11, but I guess it worth asking.
I'd check the schedule and see if there are earlier flights.
With customs and securtiy nowdays, it might not be worth leaving the airport.
Our flight back then was Phila to London on British airways and then change planes for Shannon.

Posted by
505 posts

Greetings
I have to agree with the first poster - 4.5 hours is not enough time to be safe in leaving the airport. You'll have to clear immigrations on arrival, then go through security and get to your new gate. That could be very quick or take hours. And there's no guarantee that your incoming flight will land or deplane on time.

If you leave the airport, you have to go back through security like everyone else, and it could take a long time.

Better to hang out, do some duty free shopping and catch a few winks rather than risk missing your flight to Ireland.

Kate

Posted by
3580 posts

If you are clearing customs as a non-UK citizen at Heathrow, passport control can take over an hour. The last two years I've had that experience--hundreds of people lined up after a 10 hour flight. So, I would not make firm plans for anything in that big 4.5 hours. Also, if you need to transfer to another terminal at Heathrow that can add half an hour or so.

Posted by
5 posts

Thank you all for informative replies. I'm going to have to visit London next time.

Posted by
19 posts

Nope. Stay at the airport. Not only is passport control a possible log jam, then you have to get to your next terminal for your flight to Ireland. Depending on your Dublin airline, this can take a long time also. You won't be able to relax on a trip to Windsor, and even though you could conceivably do the Castle in 2 hours, the rest of the town is charming and not to be missed. Also, what would you do with your luggage????