Please sign in to post.

UK car rental

need suggestions & hints for best deals and what to watch out for. 2 1/2 week rental

Posted by
5678 posts

Kay, I got my cars through AutoEurope which is one of the aggregators. You may find it better to go through Hertz or National. Going to national companies allows you to pick up and off in different cities. If you are staying within England / Scotland / Wales the fees are likely not too bad. My biggest tip is that you don't have the car while you are in London if you are planning to spend time there. I did a trip where I spent a couple of days in London, and then took the train to York. I picked up my car on my second day in York, when I was ready to drive out to the Yorkshire Dales. Big cities as a rule are harder, but I've found that I can find parking in Edinburgh and Glasgow if you plan a stop there in mid trip. Also, if you do not drive a standard shift car daily then you want to request an automatic. It costs more, but driving on the left while perfectly possible, does take concentration and you want to focus your efforts on that aspect rather than on shifting. (The feet in the standard car are the same as the US. It's just the gear shift is on the left.) Lastly, when planning your day's travel, mark down the cities in between your starting point and your final destination. Many of the road signs navigate you by city rather than by route number. And finally have fun! I love the wee roads of Scotland and England and the beautiful countryside I've seen on my trips. Pam

Posted by
1064 posts

Before you get too far along, I suggest you compare prices of the major companies and AutoEurope on kayak.com. Then follow up directly with the company or companies posting the best prices.