Please sign in to post.

International Drivers Permit

Do I need an International Drivers Permit to drive in England, Scotland and Wales?

Posted by
9363 posts

No, the IDP is essentially a translation of your license into other languages. They speak English in those places so there is no need to have a translation.

Posted by
635 posts

Very few countries truly require it. In the countries that do require it, I usually would not consider driving there myself. It's always worth checking but I'd rely more on Rick's guidebook or a country's website. It would be pretty bad to get at the rental counter and get surprised.

Posted by
332 posts

Some rental contracts require the IDP, check carefully before going without one. I figure an IDP is cheap enough to buy on the outside chance that some jobsworth would ask for it. It is also a good idea if you are traveling now on a license that expires 12/1/2011 and John Bull doesn't understand that we use the MM/DD/YYYY system in the USA.

Posted by
410 posts

We have never had them and have never needed them. We have rented cars on many occasions, mainly through autoeurope, and never been asked.