Please sign in to post.

traveling with medication

Will be traveling to Ireland for 2 weeks. I am on a lot of medication. I usually put my meds in a weekly (AM, afternoon, PM, bedtime) container. Is this OK or do I need to bring all my medicine containers with the pills in them. Thank you,
Vicki

Posted by
204 posts

As a pharmacists who travels all over Europe and has for years you should be more concerned about coming back to the US.
Always, ALWAYS take the label and/or a prescription from the doctor with you. The US law requires that ALL mediciine have a pharmacy label. You may well get by without it. And then again you might not. I know a doctor who missed his flight home from Paris because he thought the fact he was a DOCTOR was all he needed. And I know another doctor who had alll his medicines taken away from him in London. You know the rule, you pays your money and you takes your chance.

Posted by
3428 posts

Put your meds in your container (or in ziploc baggies labled similarly) but ask your pharmacist for an extra prinout for each and bring it or bring the info sheets they give you. Really more important for your safety in case of a medical emergency than for TSA or other countries' equivalent.

Posted by
74 posts

I also use a monthly container. But I am also sure to bring along the original vials that show the prescription. This has always worked for me, knock on wood. I think that having the pharmacist make a copy of your prescriptions is also a good idea, but I've never needed that list. Be careful to do things that will remind you to take your meds. You'll be in an unfamiliar place, and so it's easy to slip up.