Please sign in to post.

ATM fees BofA

I'm unable to find a current thread on this topic. I can't decide what to do. I'm not sure if I should get Euros in advance of my trip in September just so I have some when I get there, or if I should just use an ATM when arriving in Ireland. I've also looked into getting a prepaid debit/ATM card. If I do the latter, I'll be paying about $80 to load the card with $1900. I'm not sure on the fees from Bank of America at ATM's. I believe there's a $5.00 charge for using the ATM, then a 1% conversion fee. If this is the case, and I use an ATM say 5 times while I'm in Europe, that's about $50 in fees. Which would be cheaper than the prepaid card. And if I order Euros from my bank I'd be paying a higher exchange rate. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I hope I've made sense.

Posted by
484 posts

Compared to the total cost of your trip ATM fees will be a minor expense. Capital One has no foreign conversion fees for using their credit card and you might check with a credit union in your area, they are usually less expensive on fees than a large bank.

Posted by
312 posts

For a few euro before the trip, an option could be a tip pack, if member of AAA, or some from the exchange booth at airport .. both offer convenience, but likely poorer rate than an ATM at the airport in Ireland. Online opinions are likely to be split .. get money cheaper at Ireland airport vs wanting peace of mind of arriving with enough for taxi without worry of finding working ATM. (Of course, at end of your trip, just bring some extra home and you'll be set for next trip :-) ATM in Ireland .. my preference arrived at after 5 trips is the money market fund from Capital One's Direct Banking (online) with ATM card .. no costs to pull money in Europe (if using a bank ATM .. one in a convenience store type location may not be associated with a bank, thus charge a service fee). You are likely to receive differing opinions, but this works for me. Cheers.

Posted by
312 posts

Yes, the Cap One _ credit card _ does not (currently) charge foreign exchange fee, but you sure DO NOT want to use it at an ATM because that would be a cash advance subject to usual cash advance costs. The Cap One ATM card is the one associated with the money market fund. This is actually how I travel: Cap One credit card for large purchases (don't let anyone ask you to pay in dollars, you pay in euro!) and Cap One money market ATM card for pulling cash.

Posted by
1 posts

If you use Barclay's while in Ireland to access funds from your BOA funds, you will incur no ATM charge. I set up a BOA account for this purpose and have used its international ATM alliances in France, New Zealand and Canada. Just keep an eye on your account - I was charged a couple of times while in France, but when I went to my local branch, the mistake was immediately corrected.

Posted by
33 posts

I used my BofA ATM card at a Barclay's in Cambridge and in Bath and did not pay any fees or conversion rate. When I withdrew 200 pounds at each machine, my bank statement said it was $328.96 and $329.64 - which was the prevailing exchange rate at the time. Before I left the U.S., I called BofA to let them know I was going to use the ATM card in Great Britain so that they wouldn't think it was suspicious activity. They also told me which banks' ATMs in England would not incur a charge, so maybe the $5 fee is for using an ATM that's not in the BofA Star System. My nephew did not call his bank and the ATM "ate" his card - fortunately the branch was open and he got it back, after a bit of a hassle. I also recommend getting a tip pack at AAA, to have a little bit of money upon arrival.

Posted by
12 posts

Good to know about Barclay's, I was under the impression they were only in Northern Ireland, and not in the Republic of Ireland. And yes, what is a tip pack?

Posted by
9363 posts

Dave, a tip pack is an amount of euros in small denominations, like for leaving tips.

Posted by
970 posts

For me, the convenience and safety of using an ATM outweighs any other considerations. Be sure to notify the card issuer of your travel plans, otherwise they'll freeze your account on first use overseas.

Posted by
332 posts

Unless you are a premier Bank of America customer you will pay 1% plus $5 for ATM withdrawals in the Republic of Ireland. Make large withdrawals to minimize the effects of the $5 fee. The Global Alliance does not cover the Republic of Ireland. Do not get the prepaid debit card, your BofA debit card would charge you only $39 to withdraw $1900 worth of foreign currency assuming 5 withdrawals of about $380 each. That is about 2% total. If you feel you must buy some euros before traveling, shop around. Bank of America will probably beat AAA and most other banks by charging about 6% plus $7.50 delivery fee.

Posted by
2788 posts

To find information on this topic (which gets asked at least weekly) go to: "Graffiti Wall > Money/Communication > ATM:
Minimizing Fees". If you plan on buying foreign currency here in the US before leaving for Europe, you will pay the highest exchange rate when compared to getting Euros (or whatever) from an ATM machine using a DEBIT card tied to a CHECKING ACCOUNT once you arrive at your European destination. I go to Europe every summer and have never had a problem finding an ATM machine, and getting local currency, at whatever airport I land at in Europe.

Posted by
970 posts

To emphasize Charlie's point, UK ATM's almost always (always?) draw from a checking account. if you have your money in a savings account, move it.

Posted by
33 posts

A tip pack from AAA also comes in pounds as well as euros - nice that they include small denominations like 5 and 10 pound notes. Really handy to have upon first arrival.

Posted by
1825 posts

I set up a Capitol One Online Banking account (as opposed to the Credit Card option). That get's you a debit card with no fees. Transfer your cash and notify CO of your travel plans before you go.