Please sign in to post.

London to Dublin

Which is the best website to use (or phone number to call) to book tickets from London to Dublin in advance from the US? Should I use the National Rail site (which eventually takes me to an Arriva site) or the Sail Rail site (which seems to be Stena only)? Any advice about the best way to do this? Thanks!

Posted by
104 posts

Are you set on ground transportation? If not, you can fly using RyanAir - it's really cheap. I flew round-trip London to Dublin for $100 I think.

Posted by
724 posts

I think we want to travel by train and ferry. I know it might save time to fly, but we'll be staying not far from Euston Station so we won't have to deal with getting to the airport, dealing with airport security and possible delays, etc.

Posted by
8700 posts

You can book your SailRail tickets on this page. The page has detailed descriptions, including photos, of the SailRail service.

Posted by
724 posts

Thanks, Tim that looks like a great link, and I'm thinking of ordering the tickets tonight. It says you use your confirmation number and use your credit card to collect your tickets at the train station kiosk. Do you know if you can also get them from an agent (I'm thinking chip and pin issues!)? Also, is it possible to get them a day ahead of time (I would hate to run into problems and potentially miss the morning train)?
Thanks!

Posted by
33585 posts

Hi Ruth You don't say when you are traveling, and you do mention delays. Not to discourage you in any way, and I love train and boat travel, I've done it more times than I care to attempt to count, if the weather plays up ships across the Irish Sea can get properly delayed or canceled. Also, the ships are often overhauled in winter leaving a much sparser service. You've never lived until you have crossed the Irish Sea in December in a force 9 strong gale on a liner (SS United States for boat lovers) where the Captain was intent on holding to 25 knots!!

Posted by
724 posts

Hello Nigel we will be traveling in early August. I've done the trip once before, a very long time ago, when I was a student. The trip to Dublin was uneventful, but the trip back was just awful. I've been trying to forget that trip, since my family is looking forward to the ride. Do you think it is important that we book ahead? They won't mail tickets to the US, and I read that you cannot print out any kind of confirmation for the "sail" part of the crossing from the London train station, so I'm not sure how that works. But I'm afraid that if we wait until we arrive in London, there might not be space available on the ferry (the day we travel is a bank holiday in Ireland, if that makes a difference...) Any thoughts on this? Thanks!