Please sign in to post.

Lodging in Amsterdam

Our family has never been to Amsterdam. We are going there this summer. Can anyone recommend a family-friendly hotel in a good location? Thanks for your help.

Posted by
1014 posts

We used priceline.com and got a great room last year at the Movenpick. (Around 85.00 dollars a night) The year before, we stayed at the NH Hotel (Around 75.00 dollars), beside the flower market. (Probably not a good choice for me, wife went crazy buying bulbs!!) Also, look at trip advisor for reviews of hotels and late rooms lists rooms. http://www.homelidays.com/ lists apartment for rent.

Posted by
59 posts

You probably should post your question on the "To the West" message board, but I have a recommendation for you. My wife and I stayed in the Leidse Square Hotel on two different visits to Amsterdam and liked it very much: clean, conveniently located, reasonably priced, and family friendly (although we didn't have any kids along).

Posted by
44 posts

Thank you so much for your suggestions. I really appreciate it. I will explore these options. Happy travels to you!

Posted by
875 posts

We really enjoyed the 't Hotel on Leliegracht. It's a couple of blocks from the Anne Frank house. It faces a canal, and they have a large room for a family.

Posted by
64 posts

We generally stay in Haarlem when visiting Amsterdam. Our family has been happy with Van Der Valk Hotel Haarlem Zuid, many options and configuration for families. Be sure to choose the breakfast included rate if you intend to have breakfast at the hotel. Nice ammenities, bicycle rental at the hotel if you want to explore Haarlem, which I recommend considering. Easy train access to Amsterdam from Haarlem though we chose to rent a car for convenience reasons (young children). Free parking at this hotel.

Posted by
2788 posts

We prefer to do as Glenn posted. A much more laid back town and an easy commute to Amsterdam. I hope you have gotten a copy of RS Amsterdam Guide Book as it has lots of valuable information that we have use when planning our trips there.

Posted by
44 posts

Thanks for all of your helpful suggestions. Yes, we have Rick Steves' Amsterdam book and are perusing it with great interest. We can't wait to get there!