Please sign in to post.

scotland to ireland

We'll be renting a car to drive through England and Scotland in a week, with another week to spend in the Republic of Ireland. With time and budget limited, I'm wondering how best to get to Ireland from Scotland. Bring car on the ferry? Leave rental in Scotland and rent another in Ireland? Train? Air? I'd appreciate any advice!

Posted by
15 posts

Return the car in Scotland. Fly from Glasgow or Edinburgh on a cheap flight. Ryanair is really cheap. AerLingus is nicer. Rent a car in either Shannon if you want to see more of west coast or dublin. You can drive across Ireland in a day if you want to but that is a lot of car time. The west coast is awesome. I would recommend getting the car in Shannon, touring up through Glasgow/ Clifden, back down through Dingle/ Beara/ Kenmare /Kinsale Return the car in Cork and fly back through or AerLingus home. Have fun.

Posted by
124 posts

I think that John meant Galway, not Glascow!

Posted by
44 posts

I think you're right, Dan. I'm consistently writing one and meaning the other. Brain must be on overload.

Posted by
9 posts

I didn't even catch that! :) My grandmother is from the west of Ireland, so that's exactly the area I'd like to spend our time in. Any favorite recommendations on sights, or places to stay?

Posted by
15 posts

Ooops. Yes Galway. But Glasgow is interesting too. :)

Posted by
11 posts

Beth, I'll be doing the opposite of your trip this October. We're flying out of Dublin to Manchester, then heading home from Edinburgh. I've researched all the other ways, and this is so much faster and significantly cheaper too. I found flights on Aer Lingus for about $30 pp !!

Posted by
9 posts

I found those flights on Aer Lingus too, and was amazed at the prices! Much cheaper than train or car, even for 3 of us. Hope your trip is wonderful!