Please sign in to post.

Train from London to Paris

Hello! I'm in the process of booking train tickets for my husband, daughter, and me for this summer. I seem to recall that there is a link for cheaper tickets for Eurostar. I've looked at previous posts and couldn't find that information. Perhaps, I was dreaming or I misread it before having coffee one morning. Anyway, I thought I'd ask before booking my tickets since I always love to save $$. Thank you and happy traveling,
Laura

Posted by
8700 posts

Do as Michael says. There is an allotted number of discount fare tickets for each departure date and time. Book ASAP (up to 120 days allowed) to get the cheapest fare (€42.50).

Posted by
1175 posts

Just a tip--you can purchase a carnet (booklet of 10) metro tickets for Paris in the Eurostar departure lounge and on board in the snack car as well. You can avoid long lines to get metro tickets upon arrival and be on your way. We always buy two carnets for a stay of 4-5 days. American credit cards don't work in the metro ticket machines at Gare du Nord.

Posted by
1010 posts

We made our Euostar reservations on-line directly through Euostar. Unfortunately when I went to book the seats I was warned that there were only four economy seats avaialble on the day we HAD to take the Euostar. I waited until the next day to book it. I found tickets o.k., but they were much higher in price. In other words, don't delay buying your tickets. Also make sure you get the insurance. We were warned that if there is a rail strike and you don't have insurance, you lose your money. Make sure you allow at least 1-1/2 hours at the train station. You have to go through security, as if you were in the airport. Also you have to push your own luggage up a ramp, once you start to board the train. It gets crowded at the train station where you wait. Elaine

Posted by
1035 posts

"Make sure you allow at least 1-1/2 hours at the train station." An hour should be sufficient.

Posted by
11 posts

Thank you. We were guessing about an hour would be needed for checking in.

Posted by
32829 posts

Unless it has got MUCH worse than other times we have use it 90 minutes is double overkill. You MUST be checked in 30 minutes prior to departure or you don't go, and you do have to go through security but I've never had trouble with 45 minutes. YMMV, and I do know where I am going and doing. 90 though is too much...