Please sign in to post.

Itinerary Suggestions.

Hi, Amy and I will be spending 19 nights in Ireland this April and I was wondering if someone has suggestions on our tentative itinerary. We will be renting a car at the airport. Day 1. Airport to Trim Day 2. Trim to Louisburg. Days 3-5. Louisburg at home of a friend. Day 6. Galway Day 7. Inishmore Day 8-9. Lishoonvarna Day 10-11. Dingle town Day 12. Kenmare Day 13-14. Kinsale Day 15-16. Kilkenny Day 17. Dun Laoghaire Day 18. Dun Laughaire (return car to airport) Day 19. Dun Laughaire Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.
andy

Posted by
2715 posts

I think this is a good itinerary. The only thing I would quibble with is the two nights in Kilkenny -- I don't think it's worth two nights. I would cut it to one and add a day to Dingle or Kenmare.

Posted by
9363 posts

"Constantly being in transit" isn't all bad with a rental car in Ireland. You can see a lot and stop along the way for photos, meals, visiting sites. And none of these distances is far, so I think it's a perfectly workable itinerary. From Galway, Inishmore is a ferry ride. On the way to Lisdoonvarna you pass the Burren and the Cliffs of Moher. Not having to drive far gives you plenty of opportunity to stop and explore along the way. I'm assuming that once you are in Dun Laoghaire you will be taking the DART into Dublin? Looks fine to me. I agree, though, that two nights in Kilkenny is too much.

Posted by
94 posts

Hi Carroll...Thank you so much for your replay, it is very helpful. We have been thinking about spending 3 nights in Dingle (some other people, Rick included) think that 3 nights there would be wonderful. Time to rethink this. Thanks again.
Andy

Posted by
94 posts

Hi Nancy, thanks for your insight. Once in Dun Laoghaire, we will be traveling by DART. Thank you again.
Andy

Posted by
2367 posts

Agree with two nights in Kilkenny is too much, one is okay. We loved having a car and driving to a different place although we did what are you doing and having at least two nights in same town such as Dingle but to each his own. Enjoy.

Posted by
10230 posts

That is a pretty busy trip with a lot of one night stays. It seems you will be spending more time in the car than you will actually seeing and experiencing things. Remember, two nights in a place equals only one full day. If you are moving each night you will be constantly in transit.

Posted by
94 posts

Thanks for the heads up on Kilkeeny. We are down to one night there and adding another night in Dingle. Andy