Please sign in to post.

London to Edinburgh

We are planning to travel with train from London to Edinburgh in late May and thought about taking the connection via Settle/Carlisle to enjoy Yorkshire Dales National Park from the train window. Any opinion hereon? compared to take the direct non-stop 4H connection would be much appreciated. And how is weather there around this time?

Posted by
5678 posts

I've done the direct non-stop and about the time I hit York, I'm really itching to get to Scotland. ; ) So, if it took more time, I'm not sure I would do it. I'm hoping that you'll hear from someone who has done this. The weather in May is going to changeable. But to me that seems to be the weather in the UK from April through October. ; ) You can get lovely warm sunny days, but you can also get very cold ones. I had temps in the 40's Fahrenheit in July last year. I've also had in the 80's in September. So, the best thing to do is travel with layers and don't forget your water proofs (not water repellants) and you'll be fine. Isn't it the Scandinavians who say there is no such thing as bad weather, just inappropriate clothing? Pam

Posted by
149 posts

How much more time would it add to your journey to go the scenic route? And are you avid train travelers? I have taken the train from London to Edinburgh, and I prefer to get there as quickly as possible. But I am not a big train fan. I would rather be out walking around at my destination than looking out a train window, no matter how pretty the scenery is. If you really enjoy trains, though, you may enjoy the scenic route.

Posted by
118 posts

I took the train from London stopping for a couple days in York. It broke up the trip and I enjoyed York. During my stay in Edinburgh, I spent a day trip to Carlisle, walking parts of Hadrien's wall near there and then a train back to Edinburgh that afternoon. That whole area of Scotland and England Is beautiful from the train. It can be a lot of train riding but by keeping track of the train schedule so you know when the next train is coming there are many small towns to get off of the train and walk around for a while, catching the next train on your way. Carlisle is a great town to walk and have lunch in. Have a great time.

Posted by
69 posts

Thanks to all of you for the valuable inputs. Yes, we enjoy riding the train, and I read that the Settle/Carlisle line is considered one of the most scenic in the world. But, a ride on this line will add another three hours to the London-Edinburgh journey.