Please sign in to post.

Prescription medications

I'll be traveling to Ireland in May for 18 days with my 3 adult children. We haven't flown internationally for over 10 yrs. All of us are on 1 or more prescription medications. We will be bringing our medicines in their original pharmacy-filled containers & I understand we need to separate these & them to TSA Security screening. I've checked both the TSA & U.S. Customs' websites. TSA doesn't state that a letter from our M.D.s is necessary to travel with the medicines, however the Custom's website states a Dr.'s letter is necessary to re-enter the U.S. with prescription medication. I know restrictions change frequently, but can anyone who's recently traveled help?

Posted by
1178 posts

Have never encountered any problem with my prescriptions...I do not carry the dr's letter, in fact they are not in the original pill bottles...none are narcotic though. I would think you should have no problem, but can not guarantee that statement. I have been traveling to europe frequently during the past few years.

Posted by
9363 posts

"I understand we need to separate these & them to TSA Security screening." TSA doesn't care about your prescriptions. They are only interested in whether you are carrying banned implements/substances aboard the plane. They will care about having your liquids/gels in a single qt-size ziploc bag, in sizes no larger than 3.4 oz. for each container (the 3-1-1 rule). I have carried prescription medicines in and out of the country without a doctor's letter without ever a question being raised by customs. When you return to the US, you generally don't stop at customs anyway, just go through the "nothing to declare" door. If it makes you feel better, get a letter. But it probably won't be necessary. Narcotic or controlled substances are another matter. I would definitely document those.

Posted by
2876 posts

The "3-1-1" or 3-ounce rule does not apply to liquid medications.

Posted by
5507 posts

"I understand we need to separate these & them to TSA Security screening." You only need to separate them if they are liquid medications. Liquid meds do not need to go in the 3-1-1 ziploc bag, but you should be prepared to show them to TSA.

Posted by
3428 posts

TSA does NOT require that medications be in original bottles It is advisable to have the correct information about your meds however. You can plut them in ziplock bags, pill oranizers, etc. But make sure you have the generic name, brand name, dosage, and the conditiona you are taking it for with you. NOT for TSA or immigration/customs, but in case of an emergency. Your pharmacist can print out an extra copy of the lable or give you and extra copy of the required info sheet. Some pharmacies will also prepare "blister" packs of your meds. All the pills for "day 1, am" in one "section" then "day 1, lunch", etc. The correct lables for all the meds will be at the top or bottom of the sheet. I also take a medical info sheet with all my doct'rs phone #s, pharmacy #, etc. as well as emergeny contact info as well as a list of all my medical conditions/surgeries w/dates, etc and all my meds and especially allergies. Feel free to private message me if you are interested in a blank copy of the form or if I can help with other quesitons. - Also- you don't put liquid meds in your 3-1-1 bag- put them in their own ziplock and tell TSA about them. Nebulizers, CPAPs, etc. also get special "treatment" from TSA.

Posted by
1014 posts

I had my Dr. give me a prescription for each medicine I take and took them with me. When part of my meds were stolen from my hotel room, I just went to a drug store, handed the pharmacist my prescription and it was filled. Actually, it was cheaper than at home, even with my BCBS discount.

Posted by
2876 posts

I needed a refill in the UK a couple years ago, and had a U.S. prescription, but the pharmacist told me they weren't allowed to fill a prescription from a non-UK doctor. I had to see a local doc, who took care of me with no problem (and no charge). And the prescription was not for any narcotic or controlled substance. So I wouldn't count on your American doc's prescriptions being honored in Europe.

Posted by
6 posts

Toni, John & Tom, thank you for your thoughtful replies & valuable suggestions. I'd already thought about each of us carrying a list of our med'l conditions, prescriptions, allergies, etc. along with our Dr.s names & phone numbers. None of us have any liquid meds or are taking any meds that are narcotic or controlled. Thanks again!

Posted by
1010 posts

Hello Barbara,
My husband and I have traveled to Europe twice during the past two years. We have stayed more than a month both times. We are going again this August. We always take our meds in their original prescription containers. We then divide them up into their weekly pill dispensers after we arrive. Nobody has ever questioned our meds. I always carry the meds in our carry-ons. I would never put the meds in our check-in luggage. Have a great trip. Elaine

Posted by
6 posts

Hi Elaine, We always bring our meds in our carry-ons. Thanks for the reminder to bring our weekly pill cases, though! And we definitely will enjoy our time together in Ireland! Barbara

Posted by
175 posts

Hi Barbara, I've been traveling in Europe for years on end on different carriers and have never been asked to open a pill container.
I do carry a list of the meds I take on a trip but again I have never been asked to show it. Enjoy your trip! Susan

Posted by
11 posts

The list of meds and procedures should be in your wallet at all times - not just when you're traveling abroad. You will have a spectacular time in Ireland - the music, the people, the sheep, the gorse/furze, the food, the pubs, the colors, the ruins, the history, the.... well, you get the idea (that I want to go, too). We spent a month there two years ago, and it was even better than I imagined it. We spent very little time in the cities, but if you'ld like info about the rural areas, just e-mail me. Have a safe, wonderful trip with your kids - you'll remember it the rest of your lives.

Posted by
6 posts

Hi Susan & Nancy, Thank you for your replies! We definitely will enjoy our time together in Ireland---it can't come soon enough! Barbara