Please sign in to post.

money

I've heard that its a good idea to get a picture of the foreign currency to learn before hand its value. Does anyone have a web sight for such things?

Posted by
23574 posts

I am not sure that is necessary as I have never had a problem with id foreign currency. Generally the numbers are very large on the bills with different colors for different amounts much like the new US currency is look like. Coins are another matter. They are difficult to id because sometimes it is not clear. That just takes practice. Generally there is more logic to the coins than US coins.

Posted by
9369 posts

While I agree that it's pretty much common sense and quick to catch onto, any DK guidebook has a section in the back with color photographs of things like the money, traffic signs, etc., so that you can familiarize yourself with those things ahead of time.

Posted by
124 posts

I would agree that coins seem to be more difficult. The sizes and writing on them makes it hard to realize the value of each one. I always feel pretty stupid as I stand there counting out the coins. If I don't use the coins then I end up with a pocketful of coins at the end of the trip which can add up especially with 1 and 2 Euro coins.

Posted by
51 posts

Richard, I wouldn't feel to embarrassed about that. I have American friends at Oxford who after 5 years of living in the UK still have problems with the coins - but then they are students, and students are drunks :D

Posted by
149 posts

I don't know of any one website, but if you go to Google images and type in the country, e.g. Czech currency it will bring up tons of pictures. Click on any one of them and you will find articles and more pictures of the currency. I wouldn't worry too much about it though. I have traveled all over the world, 40+ countries, many of them more than once, and it's never taken me more than a few minutes to figure out the currency. I agree, though, that coins are a bit problematic, and when I first started traveling I ended up with lots of coins, which of course, you can't exchange for American money at the end of your trip. Now I swallow my embarrassment, and try to use the coins as I get them, even though I sometimes have to stand there and read them before I hand them to the clerk.