Please sign in to post.

Timing Question

I'm flying into LHR Friday morning and will be making my way to Euston Station to take the Rail up to Liverpool. My flight lands at 6:55am. Will I be able to make the 9:07 train? How long do you think it will take me to get through customs, take the Heathrow Express, then the tube to Euston. I am going to buy my ticket in advance, so I'm just wondering if I can take a chance on getting the 9:07 train or wait until the 10:40 train. These two trains are the cheapest price. Thanks for your help!! : )heather

Posted by
5519 posts

I think the 9:07 train would be very challenging to make and I would not recommend that you buy a ticket for it. As a general rule, allow at least an hour to get through immigration at LHR and then another hour to get to Euston.

Posted by
32772 posts

Don't forget that London between 5am and 9:30 am will be in the throws of Friday morning rush hour...

Posted by
23269 posts

Personally I think it is too tight. It could work if everything clicked but you have little margin for delay. We recently had a tight connection that we missed because we were in the far back corner of the plane and it took over 20 mins to get off the plane which we had not planned for so we missed it. Also, Heathrow has a reputation for being zoo from time to time. Too many ifs !!

Posted by
3580 posts

To make the 9:07 train you would need a quick transit thru passport control and luggage retrieval. Then take the Heathrow Exress to Paddington Station and a taxi from there to Euston Station. I agree with the others: take the later train to Liverpool. You don't want to start a vacation with the time-pressure stress of trying to make a tight connection.

Posted by
8700 posts

Don't bother with the Heathrow Express! With the connection you'll have to make at Paddington requiring you to go from the surface to below ground, you won't save all that much time and you'll be out a sizeable amount of money. And the Tube runs more frequently than the HEX. Take the Tube all the way: the Piccadilly Line from Heathrow to Green Park and the Victoria Line from Green Park to Euston. The ride will take just under an hour and the cash fare is £5.00. Book the 10:40 train (requires a connection at Crewe). If your plane is late or you are delayed getting through immigration/passport control, you'll be glad you allowed some extra time.

Posted by
3 posts

Thanks for the advice :) I booked the 10:40 train. A couple more questions now...I'm planning on buying a couple of oyster cards for myself and my husband (we'll be spending next weekend in London), can I just use that if I take the tube from LHR like Tim suggested? Will it be hard for me to find the tube from Terminal 1? This is my first trip, obviously, so I'm a bit green lol. Thanks again :)

Posted by
1986 posts

I am not sure i am familiar with termibnal 1- however we found the terminals are wll sign posted to the trains and to the tube. Some of theTubes are a longish walk though

Posted by
8700 posts

If you buy Oyster cards at Heathrow and load some pay-as-you-go pounds on them, you can use them to take the Tube from the airport to Euston. The single peak (before 09:30 on weekdays) fare for Oyster card holders is £4.50 which will be deducted from the balance on your cards. When you return to London you might want to take advantage of some of National Rail's very good 2-for-1 offers (including the Tower of London). Buy paper travelcards with the National Rail logo on them from any National Rail station. Buy one-day, zone 1-2 travelcards for each day you plan to use one or more of those offers and use your Oyster cards for all other days. To see the offers and print vouchers for the ones that interest you, go here. For a zoomable map of Terminal 1 at Heathrow, go here.

Posted by
5519 posts

Heather, I usually fly into terminal 1 and it is quite easy to get to the tube station and the directions are well marked. Just follow the signs to the underground after you exit from customs. One important thing ... make sure you check tfl.gov.uk to make sure there are no engineering works planned (especially if your trip is on a weekend) on the date you are travelling. You can use the journey planner advanced option to enter your date.

Posted by
970 posts

Heather, I really discourage people from risking ruining an expensive trip by trying to save a few bucks. Per Nigel, bear in mind that you'll be getting into London during the morning rush. The Heathrow Express is worth the extra 10 pounds or so over the Tube. it's a comfortable ride, there's a place to put your luggage, and it does take 15 minutes. If you're taking the Tube after an all-night flight, you're liable to soon wonder many stops when the thing will actually get there. (Plus, if you were 5 years old and just spent the night on an airplane, followed by standing in a really long line for another hour or so, would you really want to spend another hour on a subway?) Also, bear in mind that the Express drops you at the main level at Paddington, while the Tube lets you off deep in the bowels of the station, with lots of twisty-turny walking to navigate dragging your luggage, with some stairs to traverse to get up into the station. If time is tight, cab fare from Paddington to Euston should run 10-12 pounds. Guidelines leading to the station taxi rank are painted on the floor. Be sure to check the site Laura mentioned to determine which Tube stations are closed or otherwise affected by repairs. It is not unusual for several stations and/lines to be closed or restricted over weekends, especially as the city spruces up for next year's Olympic. And, yes, the Piccadilly Line to Heathrow is not immune to downtime. Budget another 100 dollars, then. You'll be glad you did.

Posted by
3 posts

Thanks again for all of the great advice. I think I'll be sticking with the Heathrow Express because I'd rather pay a bit more and be early for my Liverpool train than feel stressed and rushed in the tube during rush hour. I really appreciate all of the advice and extra info.