Please sign in to post.

Ireland in March

I am in the planning my trip to Ireland for this march. I have already acquired roundtrip air transportation to Dublin. I land in Dublin on March 11 about 5:30 in evening and leave Dublin around noon on March 18. That said my tentative plan is rent a car at Dublin Airport and drive immediately to Kilkenny where I thought I would stay that Friday night. On Saturday I figured I would get an earlier start and see the castle in the morning and then drive and see the Rock of Cashel in afternoon. After completing that I figured I would drive to Killarney and spend night in that area. The next morning I wanted to see the Muckross house when it opens about 9 am and afterwards I wanted to drive / do the Ring of Kerry that same day is that possible? The traditional farm Rick Steve's books talks about is closed in March and not really thinking I want to spend time in the park. That Sunday night I wanted to stay somewhere between the ring of Kerry and the dingel peninsula, perhaps just in dingle. Then on Monday I wanted to see the dingle peninsula and then thought I would sleep in Tralee. On Tuesday I wanted to drive to the cliff of mophour taking ferry at Tarbert to Killimer and then making my way back to Dublin. That Tuesday night late return car and then stay in Dublin the remaining few days. I know this is ambitious, but is this doable. What are suggestions or thoughts for those of you who have been there? Should I bother making sleeping arrangements for the middle days or just for the last few days in Dublin (around St. Pat's day) and the first night and play it by ear in case I need to modify my plan as I go? Elliot

Posted by
10 posts

Besides my itinerary questions... ( I ran out of room above) I read that regardless if you reserve an automatic car in Ireland sometimes they will just give you a manual car, how often does this happen and since I cannot drive manual what should I do if this happens as a backup plan? I never rented a car in Europe and I have been to a majority of Europe (Ireland being one of a few countries I have yet to travel to) that said any pointers in rental agencies for Europe? I found some great rates on the consolidator webs sites like auto Europe, but perhaps I should book direct to guarantee an automatic?
Do most car rental places rent gps units? Or should I buy the European maps for mine and will it work in a European rental car, that is is the power in car the same? I appreciate everyone's thoughts.. Elliot

Posted by
9369 posts

So many questions! As far as your tentative itinerary, keep in mind that it will be dark by 5:30 p.m. in early March, and you won't get out of the airport until maybe 7:00 if you are picking up a car. You might want to rethink picking up a rental car in the dark, in a busy city, and driving it on the other side of the road for two hours or more, after a long flight. It might be better to take public transport into Dublin for the night, pick up a rental in town, and drive out in the morning instead. It is doable to drive from Dingle to the Cliffs of Moher in one day, via the ferry, like you suggest. I would book your first and last nights' accomodations, and wing the rest. I have never, in four trips, requested an automatic car and gotten a manual instead. That probably happens during peak tourist season, but it would be really unlikely in March. And if you already have a GPS, you should just get Europe maps for it and take your own. Presumably, you already know how to work it, and could pre-program it for some destinations before your trip. And yes, the power outlets on cars there are the same as here.