Please sign in to post.

FERRY OR TRAIN to Copenhagen (from Oslo)?

I'm planning a trip to Scandinavia, and I've read about the Oslo-Copenhagen night cruise, which sounds really interesting. My point of entry is Oslo (because I'm visiting a friend there), and then I intend to explore other Scandinavian countries from there. I have a dilemma, so I need some advice. On the one hand, I can purchase a Scandinavia Railpass, get huge discounts on the Norway in a nutshell tour, and include Sweden in my itenerary. On the other hand, I can do the Oslo-Copenhagen cruise, which sounds fun and relaxing, but I'll have to skip Sweden. The cost for both are quite comparable. I need some advice. What's your opinion about the Oslo-Copenhagen cruise? Is it worth it? Should I skip Stockholm for that?

Posted by
1525 posts

I'm not sure if I fully understand what your trade-offs are. Time? Money? Logistics? In any case, it would be a huge shame to miss Stockholm. It remains the most lovely European city I have ever seen (and I have seen quite a few) especially at night, across the water. Other cites have more spactacular sights. But as a whole, central Stockholm is #1 for me. We enjoyed our time in Copenhagen, too. But I would easily choose Stockholm over Copenhagen. With an extra two days in Stockholm you could also do the RT Helsinki Silja cruise for not much $ and see a bit of Helsinki, which we also enjoyed more than Copenhagen. So much to see...