Please sign in to post.

Glasgow, Scotland

Through a travel glitch I'll have a 24 hour layover in Glasgow this July on my way to Paris. Where is a good place to stay and what do I see in my 24 hours?

Posted by
1451 posts

Glasgow is a university town...so there's lots to do. A couple of world class museums and my personal favorite the Necropolis (a fabulous graveyard with cool Victorian era monuments.) Just ask the helpline more specific questions about accomodations. I usually just go via the tourist information office to book, but we're usually driving.In your case you probably need to stay near airport; park your stuff and take the bus into town.

Posted by
31 posts

Thanks. Is the bus the best way to get back and forth from the airport or is there a subway? I didn't know if staying near the airport was best or in town where I could possibly go back to my room a time or two during the day. I don't fy out until about 4 the next day.

Posted by
5678 posts

Kate, It's very easy to get downtown from the Glasgow Airport. There is a bus you can catch outside the terminal that will take you to down town. You can buy a ticket at the info desk in the international arrivals area. It's to the left as you exist with your baggage, unless they've moved it since July. ; ) I stayed at the Premier Inn near George Square. The airport bus has a George Square stop which worked well for me. As already stated there are lots of interesting things to do and see. In the downtown area, is the Cathedral and I enjoyed the Tenement House museum. But you can also take the subway out to the west end and check out Kelvingrove. And if you're really into trains and transportation there is a great transport museum. The Botanic Gardens are also in the west and quite nice. There is a main shopping area downtown and you should check out the Willow Tea Rooms which have a Charles Rennie Mackintosh design. I liked just walking around Glasgow. There is a big museum, The Burrell, that is out of the city center. It's quite good, but there is probably enough to see within easy public transit reach. Pam

Posted by
31 posts

I saw the Premiere Inn listing. It looked nice, clean and very reasonably priced. Thanks so much. It sounds like there'll be more than enough to pack 30 hours there.

Posted by
3428 posts

The hop on/off bus in Galsgow is good. We enjoyed the tour of the tall ship, too (can't remember the name, now)- sort of do-it-yourself, but everything is well labled and easy to get around. If you haven't read Bill Bryson's "Notes on a Small Island", I recommend at least reading the section on Glasgow- not only is he funny, but he gives a good description of what is there. If you like to shop (or window shop) there is a good , though small, mall and a special mall just for jewelery!!!!

Posted by
5678 posts

And Scottish jewelry is wonderful! They have some great designers. I like Sheila Fleet, but Ortak has always had beautiful pieces. Hazel Passmore's pieces are beautiful. Pam

Posted by
3428 posts

Pam is right- Shelia Fleet is a marvelous jewelery designer. I bought a pair of her earrings in Orkney- lovely things, inspired by the standing stones of Brodegar.