Please sign in to post.

Iceland Air

Curious as to other travellers experiences with Iceland Air. I've heard some good, some bad already. They are almost $400 cheaper than other carriers to fly from Edmonton (YEG) to Stockholm (ARN) in Sept 2011. Wondering if the savings are worth it if the airline is not as good.

Posted by
522 posts

I flew Icelandair Seattle-Iceland RT last spring and it was fine. Pretty routine service, cleanliness, etc, which translates into great value when you consider their low fares. I no doubt will fly with them again, and am considering them for a Seattle-Copenhagen or Stockholm trip next year, with a stopover in Iceland.

Posted by
84 posts

Flew with them to London via Reykjavik. Planes were clean. Both flights were on time, which is all I really care about. Food for purchase only and I didn't get any. Nothing special, nothing bad. I would fly with them again.

Posted by
151 posts

We flew Iceland Air this summer (SEA-KEF-CDG) then (FRA-KEF-SEA) and it was wonderful. We flew with our two kids and they were treated like royalty, (free meal, pillow, blanket, etc.) We took advantage of the ability to fly open jaw and have a stopover in Iceland at no extra charge. The planes on our routes were nicely appointed and has TV's at every seat. The added benefit of not connecting through the East Coast in the busy summer season made it an easy choice. They will be our go-to choice from now on.

Posted by
970 posts

Can someone who has flown them comment on seating room and the aircraft they fly?

Posted by
115 posts

I have flown with them before. It's a 757 narrow body aircraft. So, it's not as big as standard jet aircraft for trans-atlantic flights. Seat setup will be 3 seats...aisle....3 seats. Seatguru.com can give you the specifics. When I flew them last year, it was comfortable, good video on demand system, and great service. You may not have dinner served to you if you have a late departure. I flew them out of Boston and they didn't serve dinner because it was a late flight. (compared to other European departures) If you have any questions, please let me know. Do you have a long layover? Blue Lagoon is fantastic and near the airport! Evan

Posted by
522 posts

I neglected to mention one aspect of our Icelandair experience, because it was hardly routine (all other aspects were "routine" as stated in my prior post). Our return from Iceland, scheduled for a Monday, was delayed 3 days by the volcano - which was fine with us!. At the time, Icelandair didn't fly to Seattle on Thursdays, but they added a flight for that day to get some of us home. The flight was nearly empty because many passengers left a day or two before using a circuituous route involving a long bus ride and an overnight stay at the Glasgow, Scotland airport (fools). Everyone on our flight had 3 seats to spread out on. On top of that, I guess as an apology for the volcano (like they could control THAT?!), they handed out sandwiches and bottles of water at the airport lines, and threw in in-flight meals and drinks at no cost. Everyone, passengers and flight crew alike, were in great moods. AND Icelandair picked up the tab for our extra 3 days (EU laws helped here, but still...). Hard to complain about that!

Posted by
14980 posts

The only negative thing I can think of is that their carry-on limit is 13 lbs.

Posted by
103 posts

We flew with them in June 2009 to Paris from Halifax, Canada. I loved the airport, and got some great gifts for family and friends there! I even bought a Longchamps Le Pliage bag (made in Paris) that I didn't buy in Paris, because it was 100$, as it was on sale for 40$ in Iceland. We also visited the Blue Lagoon and loved it! We are flying with them again this summer to London, home from Scotland. Their prices are significantly lower than any other one. My only complaint was that we had the seats right by the door on the way over, and it was soooo cold! We picked different seats this time. Sandi

Posted by
1525 posts

We've used them three times from Minneapolis to destination in Europe. PERFECT flying record. The planes they use are the same ones you use on domestic flights here. The changover in Reykjavik is quick and painless and kind of iteresting. My only complaint is the 13 lb carry-on limit and the fact that they stopped serving free food to adults last year. Bring lots of snacks. BTW, they only care that your "handbag" fits under the seat n front of you. They don't even weigh it. So routinely our handbag weighs more than our carry-on backpacks. Do it. Do a layover for a night or two in Reykjavik. You will not regret it.

Posted by
6 posts

Thank you everyone that's replied so far! The feedback is greatly appreciated. Please keep it coming if you have more info.

Posted by
258 posts

I flew Icelandair to Stockholm once, and had a fine experience. No delays and the staff was friendly and courteous. I chose it for that trip b/c of price- I forget, exactly, how much less it was, but do recall that it was significantly less than SAS and any other carriers I looked into. Was it the BEST airline I've ever flown?! Prob not (I had 2 great experiences on Austrian Airlines, and also liked KLM a lot; GREAT inflight staff!), but I wouldn't hesitate to fly Icelandair again. If I had the choice to fly DIRECT to Stockholm, say, on SAS, and SAS was only a LITTLE more, I'd prob go that route.....but a $400 difference? To me, THAT's significant! That's an additional $400 you have to spend in Stockholm (and brother, could that come in handy-Stockholm IS a great place to visit.....but it IS an expensive city!). Hope this info helps. Good luck.

Posted by
11 posts

I've flown Icelandair twice in past year, Seattle to Paris once and Seattle to London once. I agree with the positive comments plus there are two advantages that I would add: 1) They don't have those annoying electronic consoles under the seat in front of you. I like to carry my netbook and place it down there and still have room for moving my feet around.
2) From Seattle, the flight time is around 7 hrs to Reykjavik with a short layover where you can stretch your legs at their modern airport. This compares to 10+ hours for the competition. These two factors have made the trips much more enjoyable for me. Oh, one other thing, they have a stopover for no extra charge which I am actually investigating now for a Spring trip. Good Luck!

Posted by
37 posts

I'm kind of surprised at the reports on the "layover" in Reykjavik, which includes getting into a long, LONG security/passport control line, doesn't it? Or was I just so zonked from flying I dreamed that?? Maybe that's only if you're going on to another destination in Europe, which I was, but the flight from Seattle I took last June (after the volcano, thankfully) wasn't anywhere near as blissful as these reports sound. The seats are narrow and hard, but not as hard as SAS's, which were pretty intolerable. Iceland Air staff was great, but they do charge for food, and the offerings are fairly slim, even those you pay for. Also, I now gauge humaneness on airlines by how often an airline offers you water. My understanding is they should be offering you water once an hour, but this does not happen on either Iceland Air or SAS. BA was better about this, I noticed. SAS provides a bottle of water at your seat, and it's entirely possible Iceland Air does as well. I prefer the direct flight from Seattle to London now, and I will pay for it. I don't care anymore. I just want to get there in a reasonable amount of time, and not sit on planes and deal with erratic security checks that make sense only in third world countries (I say this having been dealing with the TSA for awhile now, including unnecessarily intimate pat-downs in Copenhagen).

Posted by
6 posts

Thank you all again for all your information regardless of it being positive or negative. It is definately helping me make decisions and I'm sure helping many other travellers with same questions. If more people have opinions, please keep them coming!