Please sign in to post.

London Oyster Card

I will be in London for three days next week. I'll be walking and taking the Metro system so I'm wondering if I should be the Oyster card and if so, where do I purchase it?

Posted by
15090 posts

It's not the Metro, it's called the Underground or the Tube. Yes you should get an Oyster card and you can purchase it at any tube station.

Posted by
263 posts

You pay a deposit of 3 british pounds (maybe 3.50?), but you can get it refunded if you return the card to an Underground ticket counter (they also have boxes where you can deposit it as a charitable contribution).

Posted by
2776 posts

Yes, you should get the Oyster card..and as Frank II said it's the Underground or Tube not the Metro.

Posted by
57 posts

By all means get an oyster card. It is also good for their bus system, which is safe, clean, and very efficient.I was just in London a couple of weeks ago, , got a 2 zone oystercard for 3 days...and it made getting around SO easy....Even worked on catching a train back from Greenwich. We must have used it at least 12 times for the Tube, and for at least 8-10 busses....and we never had to top up the card!

Posted by
94 posts

We were there for 4 days, it's great and easy to use. There is a cap for how much you will pay each day. Also, very easy to turn in at the end to get your deposit back.

Posted by
49 posts

It is very easy to get more money added to the Oyster card should you need it. It is so easy to use that I wouldn't consider any other option. Just be sure to keep it handy but in a safe place. When we purchased the cards at Heathrow, we were given little plastic carrying cases which were helpful, but we still lost one.