Please sign in to post.

help with planning

Hello again, I need help figuring out an itinerary. We are planning on going to Great Britain this summer for 14 days. We plan to stay for a 5-7 days in London in a flat somewhere. For the next part of our trip we wanted to see the Cotwolds, and Northern Wales. Maybe take a day trip to York (who knows) Would this work in our timeframe? It's three of us traveling (me, husband and 10 yr old son) We thought no car for London, car for the rest.... Thanks in advance!

Posted by
1986 posts

No car for London, car for the rest makes sense. Cotswolds you definitely need a car, wonderful area for just driving (slowly) from village to Village. from northern Wales you should consider driving to York rather than train- this will save the trip back to London. Some intersting scenery on York moors. you wont need a car in York, so maybe dump it when you get to York and train back to London. Although i love London, I would cut some days off the London part (make it 4 to 5 days), so you have more time to drive and dawdle in Cotswolds, Wales and Yorkshire moors. York itself you could squeeze down to two days (or even two nights and one full day?) Cotswolds to Northern Wales can be a very interesting drive, through the areas with half-timbered houses (black and white)

Posted by
1986 posts

OK Kris: 5 days London; 3 days Cotswolds, including Blenheim and possibly Oxford; 2 days to and through North Wales; 1 day to York and Yorkshire moors; 2 days York. Total 13 days. There used to be an Old breeds farm in Cotswolds, also a Roman Villa remnants; 10 year old son should enjoy Blenheim, also the miniature village in Bourton On the water. York walls are great for any age. You are also likely to chance upon a local festival or village fete if you are cruising the small villages. We cane upon sheep shearing and sheep dog competitions. I've even left you enough time to drive back to London (although that wouldnt be my choice)

Posted by
1986 posts

Sorry to be a nag. I forgot, I would drive from Haeathrow or West of London to Cotswolds and do London at the end. That way you will know whether you still want to do some day trips, or concentrate on London

Posted by
32213 posts

Kris, if this is your first time driving in the U.K., be sure to allow adequate time to get between destinations. I've found that driving in the U.K. ALWAYS seems to take longer than planned (sometimes considerably longer). Especially in the Cotswolds and North Yorkshire, many of the roads are small and narrow, and of course you'll be driving on the "correct side of the road" (as my English friends refer to it). ¶ Does your 14-day time frame include the flight days to and from the U.K. (which could leave you with only 12-days for travels)? ¶ If you have time, you might consider visiting the Fleet Air Arm Museum in Yeovilton or the Tank Museum in Bovington (your Son might enjoy either/both of those). ¶ Brian provided some great suggestions. Another you might consider is to take in London at the beginning (you'll need a few days to get over jet lag) and then travel to Bath by train or Coach (Bus). Rent the car in Bath and then tour the Cotswolds and the other areas. Cheers!

Posted by
970 posts

Kris, if you go to York from London, take the train rather than driving. The York station is only a few minutes walk from the center of town. Very convenient. I've done York as a daytrip from London, but I would recommend staying overnight, especially traveling with a child. I would not consider doing York as a London daytrip if I drove. That will take twice as long as the train. If you use the Motorways, equivalent to U.S. Interstates, you can get from point to point as fast, or faster, than in the U.S. But, the Motorways aren't any more fun than they are here. And, as has been mentioned, travel time on the other roads can add up. Do not make estimates based on your American experience. A very big part of enjoying a driving trip in the UK is just slowing down and going with the flow. And, finally, do not even consider driving in London. Pick up and drop off your rental car at some small place. Take a train from London to get there.

Posted by
970 posts

BTW, Kris, if you do take a train to get some place for an overnight visit, I recommend budgeting for a taxi from the station to your hotel or B&B. While stations are usually located near the city center, you don't know if you are facing a walk of two blocks or a mile or so. Plus, you'll have your luggage. It's so much more convenient just to grab a cab. Invariably, at least a few are waiting at any station.

Posted by
403 posts

Kris: Excellent advice so far. My own experience in the past makes me sceptical that you can find a flat to rent for less than a week, but times change and perhaps that won't be as difficult as it was years ago. I would arrange an itinerary something like this: London, Days 1-6. Day 7 Train to Bath, overnight in Bath. Day 8 begin in Bath, pick up a rental car, and drive into the Cotswolds. Days 8, 9, 10 in the Cotswolds. On afternoon of Day 10, arrive at Stratford upon Avon (I know, its touristy...so what, its a place you'll enjoy seeing). Overnight Stratford. Day 11 Drive via Warwick castle to Lake District, spending night in Lake District. Day 12 Lake District, leaving late in day for York. Day 13 York, return rental car. Overnight York. Day 14 Train back to London and return home. Now this is pretty tight, but you could give yourself extra breathing room by going straight from Stratford-Warwick Castle to York. I completely agree about not driving in London. I'm not sure you can realistically do both Wales and York. Of the two, I would choose York, but other may feel differently. Have a wonderful trip!

Posted by
1986 posts

Kris: you absolutely can do North Wales and York in one trip. My wife and I did something similar to the schedule i suggested above. (we had a few more days and threw in the Peak district). York is a special place, dont miss it. It is interesting to see how building styles and materials change from Cotswolds, to West England, to Wales, to York moors. You wont be bored. Your decision is the relative interest of each place to you and maybe juggle the timing a little

Posted by
111 posts

Thanks everyone for the great advice. We are NOT going to even think of driving in London! I do really want to see York, since I've heard so many great things about it...and I think leaving the car there and taking the train back to London is a great idea.