Please sign in to post.

Another Oyster Card question

Hi! Planning to be in London for 2 days in October. Is it possible to purchase the oyster card at Heathrow and then load it with whatever amt and use it for my round trip to my hotel and also around town? How much should I load on it? Also, to save time, I have a 3 hour layover at Heathrow on my first leg of the trip (going to Italy first), I'm thinking I should buy it then to save time when I return to London in 12 days. Is there somewhere in Terminal 5 to do this or do I have to exit the terminal? Thanks!

Posted by
44 posts

If my memory is correct, there is a nice kiosk in the lowest level of the terminal near the tube entrance to buy an Oyster card. After you claim bags and go through customs, just follow the signs . Very easy. I loaded 20 Pounds for 3 days on each card and we used it on buses, tube and Thames river transport. There is a small deposit which you get back when you return the card with unused credit refunded. Very easy to use as you just touch a big yellow circle on the tube or bus to pay. You can use your credit card to pay.

Posted by
780 posts

Yes you can get an Oyster card at Heathrow. Just follow the underground signs (red circle with line through it) and you will find a kiosk, desk, window, etc depending on which terminal. British Airways terminal 5 has a huge desk for Oyster cards right near the sbway platform.