Please sign in to post.

High Tea in London

Does anyone know of a great place to have high tea with a teenage daughter in London?..not too overpriced.

Thanks!

Posted by
199 posts

Jadi, there are lots of good places. On our trip a few years ago we found it to be quite a nice custom.

Posted by
390 posts

Afternoon tea is going to cost a lot no matter where you go, but there are some that are more affordable than The Ritz - £35 a person! The Wolseley has an affordable Cream Tea for £8 and Afternoon Tea for £20. That's probably the cheapest you'll find!

Posted by
2773 posts

I think you mean Afternoon Tea which would be tea, finger sandwiches and scones. High Tea in considered dinner. The Orangery at Kensington Palace is a fantastic to have afternoon tea, and not expensive. Other places would be Brown's Hotel around 25BP, Ritz Palm Court around 29BP. Harrods has a good one. Other places would be Claidge's, Dorchesster, Savoy, Lanesborough. It all depends on how much you want to spend.

Posted by
993 posts

My daughter thinks The Ritz has the best scones, but The Savoy lets you take away your leftovers. My favourite is Browns Hotel...Agatha Christie used to stay there you know. As overpriced as afternoon tea at one of the hotels is, a mother and her daughter should not miss it.

Posted by
1419 posts

I had high tea at Harrod's with my daughter about 6 years ago. It was an experience we both remember fondly. They actually have 2 places in the store to have high tea. I don't remember the name of the room, but it was large and quite pink. A very femenine (sp?) experience!

Posted by
389 posts

We did tea at Harrod's this summer -- 4th floor, and it was £20 which, from the looks of things here wasn't as much as I thought. Very fine, but we didn't dress up. There were all levels of attire. They finish serving at 5 p.m. and you need an hour.

Posted by
349 posts

Heard good things about Fortnum and Masons ( about 25 L )I sent my wife and her friend to the Ritz but at $80 for tea and some little sandwichs have we all lost our minds ???

Posted by
51 posts

My husband and I enjoyed afternoon tea at the National Gallery. The tea was quite good, and the selection of finger sandwiches, scones and desserts was as well. I think it was about 12 pounds.

It's not a "feminine experience" such as the special high teas I've done with my mom and sisters in the States, but it was a wonderful, relaxing break during our trip to the Gallery (which was free).

Posted by
3551 posts

try www.tea.co.uk for a choice of high rated places.
it costs alot in general so you may want to check the menus out and the locations to see which works for you. I went to Fortnum and Mason, vg but perhaps more than you want to pay.