Please sign in to post.

malta/gozo

I am currently in Paris for the summer and thinking about visiting Malta/Gozo in September. Can anyone give me insite as to flight arrangements, food prices, entertainment, etc. Where would you recommend to stay? My husband and I are not interested in renting a car, just walking and enjoying cafe's and people watching.

Posted by
668 posts

You do not say how long you are going for. Walking around Valletta (I assume you are staying there) is the only way to go - narrow streets, limited parking, etc. Going to Gozo, as I recall entails getting to the north of Malta and taking a ferry. You may be able to arange a bus tour from Valletta.

If you are staying at a resort, in say, Sliema or ST Julians Bay, you will need to use public transport. Buses are plentiful, but old and crowded with no airconditioning. They are something of a trophy there and are bright orange and lovingly preserved!

The last time we were there in October and it was still warm and sunny with the occasional thunderstorm.

Posted by
291 posts

Food prices are much cheaper than France, entertainment is low key and 'Mediteranean'

Malta and Gozo is an excellent place for walking and ambling and there is a very good local bus network that covers all the islands.
There is a book called 'Landscapes of Malta / Gozo' by Sunflower you can get off Amazon that has about 25 walks around the island with full bus and ferry timetables.
Buses are very cheap, there is a bus pass if you need it.

Posted by
8293 posts

There is much to see of historical interest in Malta, if that attracts you. The Maltese people suffered great hardship during WWll and the Lascaris War Rooms, 70 feet underground tell an important and fascinating story. (These underground rooms were built by slaves owned by the Knights of Malta.)

We were there in 2004 and stayed in a waterfront hotel in Sliema. I think St.Julians is livelier and has more nightlife, if that is appealing. We found food prices high and now that Malta has switched to the euro (I think this was taking place the year after we were there) I expect prices will be even higher. Do try the Pea Cakes. I loved them, my friends ... not so much.

You can reach every nook and cranny of the island by bus, those wonderful, colourful buses driven by colourful & sometimes cranky drivers. The front of the bus is the driver's domain and he often has family pictures, religious symbols, and quaint sayings posted up around him. In Valletta there is a bus terminal where you can pick up a bus to whichever part of the island you wish.

We did a day trip to Gozo but other than a quick overview it was not very enlightening, so I can't really say much about Gozo.

The harbour at Valletta is one of the world's best and you can get a super & very photogenic view of it from the Café Deux Baronnes.