Please sign in to post.

London Pubs

Alright, I'm looking for some good pubs in London, that are safe, where I can meet locals. Trying to avoid the tourists as best I can. I'm 30, and looking for a late 20's early 30's kind of crowd. Like to find a good place to watch some World Cup games as well. Thanks for the help!

Cheers,
John

Posted by
12040 posts

Here's what I quickly learned on my first trip to London, after following other peoples' advice on the "best pubs". I ended up criss-crossing the city to visit pubs that were no better or worse than the ones within a 10 minute walk of my lodgings. So, just have a look around when you arrive. You're bound to find something acceptable.

Posted by
333 posts

The 'locals' should be in fine form after yesterday's draw with Algeria in the WC :)

Wednesday could be a rough day as well

Posted by
2023 posts

You may enjoy The Grenadier (has a history of being haunted years back) which seemed to have a young crowd. It is in an area between Knightsbridge and Mayfair--in a mews which you can access behind the Laneborough Hotel. Also around the corner is Nagshead which is pretty much all locals and has tons of character as well as good food. Enjoy London!

Posted by
780 posts

The Globe Tavern, Bedale st near Borough High St, in Southwark. Get off at London Bridge tube station, then walk under the over-railway underpass.
The pub is round, named for Shakeseares globe (also nearby), and also up top was where Bridget Jones lived in the movie "Bridget Jones' Diary".
It is cute inside, dark red victorian decor, and classic english pub. No tourists whatsoever. Open 2pm - midnight when I was there.

Posted by
1266 posts

John - Here is a website I've used to find pubs in London. Fancy A Pint

Posted by
349 posts

Been to London many times and 2nd the idea dont try to hard to find perfect pub as most are very similar although I stumbled in to gay pub that was a little different

Posted by
19 posts

I agree with Tom that there are usually great pubs close to where you are staying. If you are in the Baywater area, we enjoyed The Monkey Puzzle on Sussex Gardens.

Posted by
349 posts

The central pubs are often very crowded with people just going home and seem to be not so friendly go out to a neighbor where people live out side of central line for for a general starting area if you are not familiar with London

Posted by
6 posts

Probably too late for John's trip, but maybe in time for others... agree that you should just wonder around to find good pubs. BUT, we did love Waxy O'Conners. It has a huge live tree inside it. It's near Leicester Square and is a fun experience. But, you can catch a great pint in many locations.