Please sign in to post.

getting many medications through airline customs...

hi, all. i am 55 and have had diabetes for 52 years, wear an insulin infusion pump and am currently taken 14 (yep - 14) prescriptions - but it's a great life!! i walk with a cane and consider myself mobile but not agile. my son and i are going to ireland for 3 weeks (a trip that is 35 years in the making...) we leave in a week and i am almost overstimulated! i am concerned with getting my large bag of medications and my even larger bag of pump necessities, which both have to be carryons, through the usairways and aer lingus counters and then through customs. any suggestions? also, i've never been out of North America, so am not sure how long the customs check will take. should i arrange for a wheelchair while waiting? i really have a "thing" about appearing worse off than i am. any comments greatly appreciated. many thanks!

Posted by
16096 posts

My suggestion, and others may have different opinions, is to first get a letter from your doctor listing all the meds you're taking as well as the need for the pump.

You may also want to carry copies of the prescriptions.

More than likely, customs will be a walk through and you won't have to stop. You will have to go through passport control and how long that will take no one really knows.

Put your pride aside, call your airline, and tell them you need a wheelchair. I once sprained my knee the night before I had to take a business trip. I called the airline, they had a wheelchair meet me when I arrived. It wheeled me right to the front of the security line and then to the gate. My trip was domestic but friends say when they arrived in a foreign country and needed a wheelchair, it too went to the front of the line for passport control and right through customs.

As long as your carry-on is no more than about 22 x 14 x 9 and weighs no more than 22 pounds, you wont' have a problem with the airlines.

U.S. customs is more likely to hassle you than Irish customs.

Posted by
518 posts

Be sure your prescriptions are in the original bottle with the appropriate label from the pharmacy.

The suggestion about the wheelchair is great. My mother in law is 89 and perfectly mobile but not fast. She is treated like royalty with a wheelchair.

Posted by
3428 posts

You should have no problems. Just tell the screener that you are wearing a pump. The Charlotte screeners are usually VERY nice about things like that. Last weekend I had to take my nebulizer and extra liquid meds through and they were great. There is info on diabetics with pumps on the TSA website, you might want to check it out. Your meds and supplies can be in seperate carryon(s)- it won't count against your "limit". Good for you for being willing to travel and not letting your "condition" limit you. I, too would encourage you to take advantage of the wheelchair/special transport option. You may not "need" it- but, if lines get long, or things slow down, you don't want to tax your energy too much.

Be certain you take plenty of appropriate snacks with you for the flight and stock up on arrival so that you aren't having look for something appropriate if your blood sugar gets low.

Happy travels, neighbor!

Posted by
4 posts

many thanks to all who replied! esp. to Toni - great, fabulous news that my meds & pump supplies won't count as one of my carryons!! look up all the info in the TSA guidelines, and i think i'm ready!! i'm so excited i'm already heading to giddy. i've arranged for a wheelchair - and i'll wear it and a big smile. looking forward to the adventure! maybe we'll cross paths someday at charlotte/douglas, toni. i'll be the one in the wheelchair, wearing a pump and a smile! happy travelling, all.

Posted by
707 posts

Hi Carolyn.
My wife is diabetic and uses a pump. She also has RA. So she, too, carries a lot of stuff. Here are some of her suggestions and experiences from a half dozen times to Europe, plus trips to the middle east, latin america, and others.

Get a letter from your doc and copies of prescriptions as has been suggested. She's always carried these things, but never been asked for them.

The way you are treated at security will vary due to the knowledge and training of the screeners. She has been waved through in some instances and also had to go through a pat down in others. One guy demanded that the pump be removed; she refused. Make sure they understand its a medical device.

The statements on the TSA website and reality in the airport may not coincide.

She doesn't agree that US customs will give more hassles. Her worst experience was at CDG/Paris.

You sound prepared. Have a great trip.

Posted by
12313 posts

Here are basic tips for traveling with medicine:

Always carry your medication on your person. Whether in a purse, backpack, carry-on luggage or pocket, it is important to keep your medications with you. It’s not a good idea to check required medication.

Ask your doctor’s office to provide you with a letter outlining your health condition and which prescription medications you are taking for it.

Talk to your pharmacist. Explain that you are leaving the country and need to take your medication with you. Pharmacies often have helpful information for traveling with medicines. They can also provide you with a copy of your prescription, and an informational sheet listing the name of the drug, along with any other names it goes by (such as generic names). You can show this information in case of an emergency while you are traveling.

Bring an adequate supply of medicine for your entire vacation.

Keep prescriptions in their original pharmacy container labeled with the name of the passenger. Be sure that the name is the same as on your ticket. Don't combine your medications into one bottle; take each type of medication in its own labeled bottle. Place all medications in a plastic bag for ease during security screening.

Call your health insurance company before you leave and explain your situation. Ask what you can do if you need to fill a prescription abroad, in case you lose your medication while traveling.

TSA has a broad exception to their carry-on limits for needed medicines. In your case, I would tell the screener, "I carry a lot of medicines," and have them ready for inspection along with the note from your doctor when you go through screening.

Posted by
12313 posts

Should add call an Irish consolate to check on their rules too. You can get contact information for a consulate through the dept. of State (www.state.gov).

In other countries U.S. prescription drugs might be sold over-the-counter (without a prescription) or might be completely illegal depending on that country's laws.

Posted by
4 posts

all of these suggestions are great - and have eased my mind tremendously. what wonderful caring people! if all travellers are as helpful and kind as you have been, i need to travel more!! again, many thanks. i'm on my way today!