Please sign in to post.

Car insurance in Ireland

We are renting a car in Shannon and will be driving for 8 days wending our way through Kerry ( visit grandfather's ancestral home -Cahirceveen ) down into Cork and eventually back to Shannon. Is getting the World Gold/Platinum Master Card worth it to circumvent paying both the CDW and SDW on the car rental?

Posted by
1357 posts

You'll get lots of replies to this, with lots of different answers. I have a World MasterCard, but I had a hard time getting specifics on the coverage, so I decided not to go that way. We got the regular CDW through the rental company and covered the deductible through a 3rd party plan with dailyexcess.com. We did have to file a claim, took about 6 weeks to get reimbursed.

Posted by
8 posts

Car Hire

Car hire tends to be more financially favourable if you make your bookings prior to arriving in Ireland. Make sure to book in advance if you’re travelling during the high season. The majority of rental cars are standard shift, ie: not automatic. If ordered in time, automatic cars are available for an additional charge.

A child's seat should also be ordered in advance to ensure availability. Advise the car hire company if you’re planning to travel between the Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland.

Driving laws

Driving in Ireland is on the left and seat belts must be worn at all times in the front and the back of the vehicle.

Recommend visiting Skellig Michael - UNESCO World Heritage Site, when you are in the area. Boat trips are available from Cahersiveen, Waterville and Portmagee.

Have a great holiday