Please sign in to post.

driving directions

Please give me driving directions (road numbers etc.) for the "Norway in a Nutshell trip" from Oslo to Bergan. We'll be in Oslo for the 17th of May! We then plan the driving trip to Bergan and then cross country (fast way) to Stockholm. Thank you.

Posted by
9110 posts

Oslo to Bergen is a piece of cake. Take the E18 out of Oslo, within ten miles turn right on the E16 and it will take you to Bergen. It's a solid eight-hour drive with great scenery.

For Stockholm, reverse yourself to Oslo, pick up the E18 where you left it before, stay on the E18 to Stockholm. That's about seven hours from Oslo to Stockholm. A couple of times I've tried leaving the E18 and picking up the E20 about a hundred miles west of Stockholm -- it might be a very few minutes shorter, but the scenery's not as good.

Posted by
2 posts

I'm looking for road number directions for R. Steve's Norway in a Nutshell as described in his Scandinavia book on page 213. His suggested route is From Oslo, drive through the Gudbrandsdal Valley, go over the Jotunheimen Mountains, then along Lustrafjord to Balestrand: from there, you can cross the Sognefjord on a car ferry and drive the Nutshell route on to Bergen. My question again is what highways are suggested for the above. Please include suggestions for hotels, restaurants etc. along the way.
Thank you for your help!

Posted by
5 posts

You could try the route suggested on this map. This will at least get you to Balestrand via Jotunheimen.