Please sign in to post.

Transportation from Heathrow

We will be arriving at Heathrow at 10:45pm. Other than the obvious taxi ride, what are suggested transportation options to our rented apartment? It is near a tube stop. We have looked at taking one of the night time buses. Thoughts, suggestions? Thanks!

Posted by
15208 posts

Depending on what time you clear immigration, you might still make the tube.

The last Heathrow Connect leaves around 11:20 PM.

The last Heathrow Express leaves about 11:30 PM

If you would tell us from which terminal you'll be arriving and what tube stop you need to get to, we might be able to be more specific.

Posted by
9 posts

We will be arriving on American Airlines which I believe is Terminal 3 and are at a apartment that is said to be "minutes from Kings Road and Sloane Square tube".

Posted by
5678 posts

I think I took that flight to London one year. ; ) I did the black cab. I was traveling solo and it was late. It was pricey, but the tube wasn't really an option. You might want to check out this site. http://www.britainexpress.com/London/taxis.htm It has information on Mini Cabs as well as Black Cabs. I know that when I was traveling for business and I had a very early morning flight, I got a private car. You might also post on TripAdvisor's London Forum and see what the locals do when they get those late night flights.

Pam

Posted by
5561 posts

Carol,

You may want to consider using a car service. I haven't used one recently, but if you check the TripAdvisor London Forum, I'm sure you can find one that is recommended. A car service will be less expensive than a taxi.

I typically take a flight that arrives at 10pm and have always been able to make the tube before its last departure. However, 10:45 could be cutting it too close. Check the journey planner on tfl.gov.uk site for transportation options on your date of travel. The last tube typically leaves a little before midnight. There are later buses, but I haven't had to do that yet. The tube or bus would be your cheapest option.

By the way, the last Heathrow Connect is sometimes later than the time that Frank mentions. It depends on the day of the week, but there is usually one that leaves around midnight.

Posted by
9 posts

Thanks everyone. I'll check out the options you have mentioned.

Posted by
8700 posts

You'll arrive too late to take the Tube so using a car service is a good idea. Many people on the Fodor's board recommend Just Airports. There is a discount for paying cash. I think Sloane Square is in postal code SW1. The cash fare for a saloon (sedan) from Heathrow to anywhere in that postal code is £30.

Posted by
15208 posts

If you're arriving at Terminal 3 then the Heathrow Connect/Express times will be slightly later...however...since you're going to Sloane Square, which is in Chelsea and south (near the river), first going to Paddington (north) would be a waste and the combined train/taxi fare would come close to the car service Tim mentioned.

Forget the night bus, it takes forever and do you really want to be changing buses, and traveling on them for nearly 2 hours, after a long flight?

Tim's right about the tube. You need to change trains to get to Sloane Square. And even if you got the last tube train out of Heathrow, by the time you got to a station to change, the trains would have stopped running.

My suggestion is the car service. It's door to door.

Posted by
9 posts

Frank, I think you are right about the bus. I don't think I want to be traveling for a couple of more hours after the flight. I will check into the car services you all have suggested. Thanks to all for the help and suggestions.

Posted by
39 posts

Carol, we've been on that flight twice before (from ORD right?) and used a cab once and a car service once. Both were fine, neither was better than other in my opinion.

As an aside, flight 90 is my favorite to Europe. Rarely crowded and when you finally get to bed around 12:30am London time, it FEELS late, even though it is only 6:30p at home. I find my jet lag/body clock confusion to be much easier when I take "daytime" flights to Europe instead of traditional overnights.

Have fun.

Posted by
9 posts

Yes, from Chicago, and yes, I look forward to flying during the day and getting there in presumably better condition than I normally arrive in Europe - awake all night on an overnight flight. I think this will be a much better way to get acclimated to the time difference.

Haven't decided whether to do a car service or taxi but I've abandoned the bus idea. Even though it will only be around 7pm to us, I'm betting our nerves will still be plenty frayed and dealing with a bus ride and transfer does not sound like the way to go!

Posted by
286 posts

Black cabs are more expensive than minicabs/car service. It is easy to make a booking in advance. They will check your flight arrival progress and be there waiting. Best part is walking through the gates and seeing a sign with your name on it. Priceless.

Posted by
8293 posts

Ray Skinner at london-transfers.com is reliable and competitively priced. I have used him about 5 or 6 times now.

Posted by
970 posts

I arrived at Heathow at 10:30pm last year and the Tube was closed by the time I cleared. Even if you can catch the Tube out of Heathrow, the other lines might be closed by the time you get to Paddington.

Opting for a car service is a good idea. I did. Cost is about the same as a cab, maybe less. The only hassle I had was that the guy holding up a sign with my name on it had printed my first name, not my last.