Please sign in to post.

Weather in Ireland

I will be in Ireland from May 5 until the 16th. With spring in the air in Northern California it is hard to judge how cold it will be in Ireland. Which season of clothes would you suggest bringing?

Posted by
333 posts

Could be good, could be bad, could be fantastic....and all in one afternoon.

One thing in your favor is we will not be in Ireland at that time so you'll probably be grand :)

Edit: The rain that time of year could be quite strong but it's not too cold...Similar to our winter rains here in Northern California but the winds can be strong.

It will rarely get above 70 F. You will probably get 5 good days out of 10 but it's not unusual to get a really nice week in May

Posted by
881 posts

Judy - do the PNW/Seattle thing, and layer. You never know what the weather in Ireland is going to be from day to day, or even during the same day; especially on the West Coast. In May, I've both frozen, and had gorgeous days (same thing is true for July).

I'd bring some regular shirts, 1-2 thicker long sleeved shirts/sweaters, and a rain coat, and a warm hat.

Gloves/scarf were actually a nice addition when we were there last May - but Ireland is a great place to buy those! =)

Posted by
506 posts

Thank you all for the info. I think this was the track that I have been on. Can't wait to go!

Posted by
4 posts

We were in Galway last June, for 8 days, and only had 15 minutes of rain :) However, I had on my warm zippered fleece hoody at all times--- it was in the low 50's at night, a little warmer by day..as others have said, dress in layers. On the Atan Islands, I had a cashmere sweater under the thick hoody, and the wind still chilled me to the bone.

Ellen