Please sign in to post.

Heathrow or Gatwick?

I am planning to purchase my airline tix for our trip in August tomorrow. The price is the same for Heathrow and
Gatwick and arrives around the same time. I've heard negative things about Heathrow, but it looks like it costs more to get to London from Gatwick. Which would you choose and why?

Posted by
1290 posts

They are both good options. I would probably choose Gatwick because it is smaller and easier to get around. The train puts you into Victoria Station. (which is near where we always stay) My memory of Heathrow is walking, walking, walking to get down to the tube. From there it was a piece of cake to get to Victoria Station. (if that is where you are headed, change trains at Hammersmith. Very easy, just a few steps across the platform. Some of the other transfer points involve stairs, multiple levels etc) Also, What time will you be coming in on the tube. If it is rush hour, it will be very full as you approach London. We took the express train from Gatwick. It was comfortable and got us there fairly quick. You can't go too wrong here.

Posted by
32220 posts

Cindy,

I also tend to prefer Gatwick as it's much smaller and easier to get around. As with a previous reply, I also usually stay in the London Victoria neighborhood, so the Gatwick Express is a convenient 30-minute ride.

If the price is the same, I'd choose Gatwick.

Happy travels!

Posted by
15213 posts

Besides the Gatwick Express train, there is also a regional train from Gatwick into Victoria that takes a few more minutes but costs much less. (However, if you're arrive during rush hour, this train will be packed with commuters.)

Arrival isn't as important as departure. Gatwick will be less crowded and easier regarding departure--if you're going home from London.

Posted by
4555 posts

I'll add my vote to Gatwick....it's just as easy to get into London....and far easier to move around Gatwick airport than Heathrow.

Posted by
1557 posts

I vote for Heathrow from a cost factor - much cheaper getting into town on the tube.

Which is more important to you - cost or smaller easier to navigate airport? Decide and then make a choice.

Posted by
334 posts

I'd definitely choose to avoid Heathrow if I could. The price difference to get to London isn't a big factor in the whole trip cost. If the airline price is similar - opt for Gatwick.

Posted by
159 posts

Thanks for all your input. I chose Gatwick, not only for the reasons previously stated, but also for the time it leaves LAX. The Heathrow flight would have had us driving to LAX during rush hour. Thanks again...I've got my tix!

Posted by
159 posts

Piggybacking another question onto this...how long should I allow from landing at Gatwick to boarding the Gatwick Express? We arrive at 7:00 am. I'm just trying to estimate what time we'll be catching the train and arriving in London.

Posted by
32220 posts

Cindy,

In my experience, the answer will depend on how many flights are arriving at about the same time as yours. If there are a huge number of people waiting to go through Immigration it will take somewhat longer (there are separate lines at Gatwick for EU residents and "others").

I'd allow AT LEAST an hour for collecting your luggage and getting through Immigration / Passport control. Add another 10-15 minutes to walk up to the station for the Gatwick Express. Note that you can buy your ticket either in the airport or on the train.

The trip is about 30 minutes and you'll arrive at London Victoria station. If you need to buy an Oyster Card or whatever for the Tube, there's a ticket office there (London Victoria is a Tube station as well).

London Victoria is a busy station, so be prepared for lots of activity (after a long flight, that can be a bit of a challenge).

Cheers!

Posted by
80 posts

Gatwick Express is way too expensive compared to the Southern Railway local train that makes three stops on the way in and takes 5 minutes longer.

Check for advance purchase fares at:

www.southernrailway.com

When I flew in/out of Gatwick, I bought a discounted any train but only that day fare for LGW-Victoria Stn, and then a discounted only this train for the return (as I knew when I needed to be back at Gatwick).

You can save at least 50% if you take the 5 minute longer local train vs. the express.